How often to change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While you are cycling the tank, do PWCs to keep your ammonia and nitrites down as often as necessary. After the Nitrates start to rise, do them as often as needed to keep them below a pre-determined level. I like to keep mine below 20ppm, and most people will agree with that, and the upper limit should be 40ppm (for MOST fish). Mine are currently between 20-40ppm because I have a heavy bio-load and my Purigen in my filter needs recharging. Plus I paid a neighbor kid to fed the fish for 5 days and she fed them 1/2 a can. I usually feed them less that that in a month. Dummy.

wow you're lucky you didnt have casualties!!...my nitrates took off. I bought the API test kit aroun 33 bucks at Petsmart.

a stable cycled tank i truly believe weekly 50% water changes are best. there some cases like discus or fry which more should be needed. is it a must? no not by any means. build or make a python to make wc easy. there is no harm in doing too many too often water changes.

Back
Top Bottom