How often to feed mixed tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aislinn3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 tanks with fish right now (third is backup if the dwarf puffers need to move). In my 75 gal I have 2 clown loaches, 1 common pleco, and 11 swordtails. Tank 2 is a 46 gallon with 4 mollies, a rainbow shark, a rhino pleco, an unidentified catfish (cuckoo possibly...if that's even a real classification), and 4 dwarf puffers (have not been territorial or nippy yet). So how frequently should I be feeding? They all have such different specifications for feeding, is there a general rule or something I'm missing? I of course do not want to be over feeding. Thank you in advance :)

I feed my mixed tanks daily.

Be careful that the puffers get live or frozen bloodworms, they have be known to fade away just being fed flake or pellet food.
Of course I didn't know this till I noticed my puffer getting very thin. Now it eats blood worms straight from my fingers :)

Feeding Aquarium Fish

I have 2 tanks with fish right now (third is backup if the dwarf puffers need to move). In my 75 gal I have 2 clown loaches, 1 common pleco, and 11 swordtails. Tank 2 is a 46 gallon with 4 mollies, a rainbow shark, a rhino pleco, an unidentified catfish (cuckoo possibly...if that's even a real classification), and 4 dwarf puffers (have not been territorial or nippy yet). So how frequently should I be feeding? They all have such different specifications for feeding, is there a general rule or something I'm missing? I of course do not want to be over feeding. Thank you in advance :)

Hello ais...

Most aquarium fish are small with very small stomachs, so they don't need to be fed very often. To keep you tank clean and your fish healthy, feeding 2 to 3 times per week and just a cube or two of the frozen. Flaked foods contain additives that extend the shelf life of the product. I don't feed much of it.

I feed mostly frozen, like Brine and Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, krill and plankton. These have few, if any chemical additives. Vegetable biscuits and minced garlic are good too, but no more than a couple times a week.

So, feed just a little and your fish will always be foraging for a leftover and your tank will stay much cleaner.

B

I have quickly discovered the puffers taste for bloodworms, though one cube is enough for 3 meals it seems! Perhaps if I move them to their own tank I can divy up the cube among my 3 tanks. The only problem is the third tank is a tiny ten gal...from what I understand puffers need 5 gal per fish. So I am torn...however I have 8 more weeks to decide as the 10 gal was just started 2 days ago :)

PS. Thank you both for your advice, it helps considerably being that I am very green to aqua life :)

Back
Top Bottom