How soon can I take out my old filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added an Aquaclear50 filter to my 29 gallon tank. I am still running my whisper 40 HOB too. I added part of my old filter material to the new Aquaclear but have been keeping the old filter running to further help seed the new one. How long should I leave the old HOB running. The noise is driving me crazy. I cannot hear the Aquaclear but the Whisper is very loud. I thought about just taking the old filter media from the Whisper and put it in the Aquaclear but I tried that with my ten gallon tank and it went through a mini cycle. Something I don't want to happen again. My ammonia is zero, my nitrite is zero, but my nitrate is 80 despite frequent water changes. Using API test kit.

I would think you can just take it off now, leaving it on the tank will not let you know if the other filter is cycled because the already cycled filter is still running if that makes sense. All I would do is just switch the media in the AC50 and hopefully you won't need to cycle it again...not sure what other advice to give!

I'd let them both run for a week until the new filter is seeded :) that's what I plan on doing once I get my aqua clear 50. Extra filtration never hurts.

True, extra filtration never hurts but my head sure is from the noise. LOL Hopefully the new impeller I am ordering will quieten it down enough to use it on my 10 gal. I should have ordered the aquaclear when it was suggested. So much quieter. I will give it another week or so and then go from there.

True, extra filtration never hurts but my head sure is from the noise. LOL Hopefully the new impeller I am ordering will quieten it down enough to use it on my 10 gal. I should have ordered the aquaclear when it was suggested. So much quieter. I will give it another week or so and then go from there.

Good idea :) keep us updated! Maybe post a pic ?

Back
Top Bottom