How to calculated dosing Prime for less than 5 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyCakes81

Aquarium Advice Freak
I get the instructions on dosing Prime. Its basically 1ml for each10 gallons of water.

I have a 20 gallon fish tank. I want to be able top off evaporated water correctly.

At this moment I have about 1 gallon of water to add to the tank but I don't know how much I'm suppose to add.

Please help me.

I get the instructions on dosing Prime. Its basically 1ml for each10 gallons of water.

I have a 20 gallon fish tank. I want to be able top off evaporated water correctly.

At this moment I have about 1 gallon of water to add to the tank but I don't know how much I'm suppose to add.

Please help me.

I think it's somewhere around 1-2 drops per gallon. If you get a 3 gallon bucket just fill that up and let it sit for 24 hours, then no need for dechlorinator. Always keep that bucket full then you can too off whenever you want without worry
Edit: and also prime can be dosed up to 5x the standard dose without any ill effect so even if you did do more, it would be okay. Like 1ml in your tank then fill as desired

I think it's somewhere around 1-2 drops per gallon. If you get a 3 gallon bucket just fill that up and let it sit for 24 hours, then no need for dechlorinator. Always keep that bucket full then you can too off whenever you want without worry
Edit: and also prime can be dosed up to 5x the standard dose without any ill effect so even if you did do more, it would be okay. Like 1ml in your tank then fill as desired

Thank you Zimmanski for your response. I get it now. I will be more confident in my water changes from now on.

Seachem website said:
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

taken from the Seachem website... you would need aprox 0.5 ml or just under the first cap thread for a 5 gal tank. noting that you can dose up to 5x safely i would just eyeball it at just under the first thread in the cap and not worry too much.

Good luck!

taken from the Seachem website... you would need aprox 0.5 ml or just under the first cap thread for a 5 gal tank. noting that you can dose up to 5x safely i would just eyeball it at just under the first thread in the cap and not worry too much.

Good luck!
Thanks Andrewz! :) But how would you calculate for 1 gallon how to use ask top off water?

you can just dose the tank instead of the 1gal to top off... i do weekly pwcs with a 90gal tank (about 40%)... i dose the entire 90 gal every time... no issues. i wouldnt worry about trying to figure out the exact math.

you can just dose the tank instead of the 1gal to top off... i do weekly pwcs with a 90gal tank (about 40%)... i dose the entire 90 gal every time... no issues. i wouldnt worry about trying to figure out the exact math.

Thanks Andrew! I now feel confident that I will not hurt my fish.

2 drops per gallon is normally enough to make your water safe. On 5 gallon buckets of water I usually add 16-20 drops, just incase my municipal supply added a stong chlorine dose that day. At 2 drops per gallon, a 250ml bottle will last you for years.

Just fill the cap and pour. You can dose X's 5 and be ok. The more you over think it the confused your gonna get.

I don't sit there and count drops for a 75gallon tank. I don't have time.

Just fill the cap and pour. You can dose X's 5 and be ok. The more you over think it the confused your gonna get.

LOL who would?!

On a larger scale, and on the larger bottles directions state 5ml for 50 gallons, so yeah fill your cap up and go. The OP asked about measuring for less than 5 gallons, so counting drops is cost effective and takes less than 30 seconds.

LOL who would?!

On a larger scale, and on the larger bottles directions state 5ml for 50 gallons, so yeah fill your cap up and go. The OP asked about measuring for less than 5 gallons, so counting drops is cost effective and takes less than 30 seconds.

Agree and I know. I was making a funny :)

That's wasted product though, and Prime isn't cheap.

It's 2 drops per gallon according to the little dropper bottle I used to have (that I refilled from bigger bottles).

As an aside, if your water supply uses chloramine, it isn't going to dissipate overnight and you will need a dechlorinator.

Having a 1ml syringe on hand is helpful for measuring liquids. That's an insulin syringe. Ask your vet for a couple.

Back
Top Bottom