How to care for a bala shark???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a bala shark today. Now hes in my QT tank. I want to know how to care for it and would he go Well in my 80 gallón tropical tank with a red tail shark, neons, rummy nose, and guramis?? This is my tank ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420671076.032744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Let the games begin!!!! Just return him man.. they're like.the biggest cliche in this forum.. 18" blah blahh..like schools. ..blah blah.. 300 gal. Minimum blahh blahh blah..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Let the games begin!!!! Just return him man.. they're like.the biggest cliche in this forum.. 18" blah blahh..like schools. ..blah blah.. 300 gal. Minimum blahh blahh blah..

I agree
And I've also said basically exactly that! Lol.

I third this.

They are easily startled. That is why when I sold them they were always in groups of minimum three but six or more is better. Yeah, they get big fast !!

I always recommended that each end of the tank have plants or something to show them that there was a wall there in case they got startled. Lots of Balas kill themselves by running into the end of the tank when they're startled.

At least in my experience lone Balas often die off.

Another species that I don't necessarily think should be in the pet trade. At least not without a major warning label. Lovely fish. Wish they didn't get so big.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1177&pcatid=1177

Your tank is very cool. I'm jealous ?

I bought a bala shark today. Now hes in my QT tank. I want to know how to care for it and would he go Well in my 80 gallón tropical tank with a red tail shark, neons, rummy nose, and guramis?? This is my tank View attachment 260306

Upgrade your tank to a 180g minimum and get him 5 more friends and sure, he can go with that stock ;)

Seriously speaking, please research fish before buying them... There are far too many fish that are common in fish stores but do not fit in anything but the largest of tanks. It's a shame that they don't post warning signs to prevent uninformed impulse buys :(

Love your tank though, that's a great decor choice for such a uniquely shaped tank!

Agree with everybody else's statements to return it. Especially in regards to researching first. It would show what Coursair mentioned as well as rainbows are a solitary shark only.

Edit: red tail (thank you autocorrect)
Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I read about them before buying. In liveaquaria it says mínimum tank size 75gallons. Mines 80. If i cant return him should i get 2 more ir just leave him by himself??

I would search for another fish keeper in the area if your lfs won't take him back. These fish are best left to public aquariums or in the wild. I have only seen a few tanks I would consider keeping this fish in. The name shark is apt for this fish because it's like a pelagic shark and always likes to swim.

Do you have a red tail shark?

I dunno.. just wanted to know how many sharks you had...

I read about them before buying. In liveaquaria it says mínimum tank size 75gallons. Mines 80. If i cant return him should i get 2 more ir just leave him by himself??

It's actually 70 but an 80 is good. It also says groups of 3 or more.

Ya i have 1 red tail shark. I got him 2 months ago. Why?

It matters because the recommendations for RTS is THE ONLY shark in the tank.

Return or rehome the Bala. It will not turn out pretty.

Liveaquaria isn't always accurate on their tank recommendations... Some fish they're pretty good, but the Bala isn't one of them.

Recommendations for red tail black sharks being the only shark are in regards to being the only rainbow or RTBS. Balas are just hit or miss with them since they swim at a different level, but can be done... Not in that size tank with no other Balas to diffuse the RTBS' attention though.

Liveaquaria isn't always accurate on their tank recommendations... Some fish they're pretty good, but the Bala isn't one of them.

Recommendations for red tail black sharks being the only shark are in regards to being the only rainbow or RTBS. Balas are just hit or miss with them since they swim at a different level, but can be done... Not in that size tank with no other Balas to diffuse the RTBS' attention though.

Yes, I noticed LiveAquaria says over a foot long, but list 70g. I just put up the link to show adult size. Tank recommendation is ok for babies.

I used LA as a reference since the op did also.

Back
Top Bottom