how to completely sanitize/bleach/clean a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 10gal tank that's been sitting and i would like convert it to a dirt tank that will serve as a nursery for some of my plants. Previously the tank housed some fish that died of internal parasite. I can always throw a gallon of bleach into it and do a complete clean out. but it's too harsh and might ruin my nusery plan. Is there another way sanitize/clean but not as harsh? would soap or detergent work? I want to get rid of any parasite or harmful critters in the tank.

ps. there's no snails or anything but water. i'm mostly concerned with the parasites that might have been lurking around in the substrate since they're microscopically small.

Vinegar? Peroxide? i know diluted they are ok......not sure if a very small amount of bleach is ok or not....

I would try a little bit of vinegar and water give the tank a good scrubbing let it dry really well....and if you are changing to a different substrate you don't really have to worry about the old stuff.... right here and now anyway.

if you are still concerned turning the heat up on the tank and maybe putting some parasite meds or aquarium salts in to kill off any potentials in there still.

I'm mostly brainstorming and trying to remember what i have read about situations like this.....i'm sure some much smarter than me will chime in :)

Hot/boiling water would kill any bacteria/parasites off

Not sure why i didn't think of boiling or hot water :facepalm:

I'd say put some real hot water in...and boil some and mix it in with the hot water...being careful not to go from a cold to hot setting and blowing out the glass.

hot water and some water softener salt thats what i did with a small tank that quickly got over run with ich from a new fish and killed my fishies. i just put extremely hot water in and a couple of cups of salt and let it soak. be careful when using hot water though, if you put it in too fast the glass can crack from temp change

Perfume free bleach is perfectly safe to use! 1 part bleach to 9 parts water will sanitize the tank and substrate. You will need to let it dry completely out for the bleach to evaporate or use 3x prime dosed water to rise thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom