How to disinfect hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norcalg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello -
I had to rig up a hospital tank for a rainbow (died this morning, dropsy, I think) and now want to retrieve my parts without passing on any infection. To be cleaned is a heater, biowheel filter (sans biowheel), a terra cotta pot and a 5-gallon bucket. Dilute bleach? Sunlight? Ammonia? None of the pieces are (expected) to be put into immediate use but hey, nothing's certain, right? :)

Also, all pieces have been through two rounds of different anti-biotics (the fish lasted a lot longer with dropsy than I was anticipating) if that makes a difference in the cleaning plan.

Thanks,
~g

Generally pure bleach (i.e. no scents) will kill off any bad things, then rinse everything thoroughly with dechlorinator solution a few times and everything should be all ticketyboo... :)

After bleach and a rinsing, placing it to dry in the sun would work well. This will make sure the bleach breaks down into salts, so you can rinse again thoroughly afterwards to rinse away what's left.

Back
Top Bottom