How to do a water change??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noob question: so I've always used a bucket to do a water change, but I ordered a water changer that hooks up to the sink. Do I put the conditioner In the tank after I replace the water, or before?

Great. It just sounded strange cause I thght the fish could like immediately die from chlorine.

If you do it during or after, you could have serious problems result. It's always BEST to add to your tank prior to adding any water AND treat for the entire tank volume, not the volume of the WC. If you get in the habit of doing it before, you will never question yourself wether you added or not.

If you do it during or after, you could have serious problems result. It's always BEST to add to your tank prior to adding any water AND treat for the entire tank volume, not the volume of the WC. If you get in the habit of doing it before, you will never question yourself wether you added or not.

And what problems could you have by adding your water conditioner DURING the refill? 17 tanks, all done the same way, no problems. Please enlighten me.

And what problems could you have by adding your water conditioner DURING the refill? 17 tanks, all done the same way, no problems. Please enlighten me.

You and I both know what COULD happen, as many of these questions turn into other threads of sick fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300707

The above simply being "I forgot". Also, I was moreover stating it's a better habit (until some have learned better husbandry) to establish a routine of doing it first so the "I forgot" doesn't happen. The above being the best quick example here. I could search the other forums as I've seen it there as well. For those on city water supply, why wait till after ? Treating a 10g after a 50% WC just seems totally absurd as (generally) filters are off and not moving (good) water, so why subject your investment to toxins and stress that could've easily been avoided ? That's merely the point I was trying to make. If I remember correctly, the last portion of my posted comment was "You will never question if you did it or not".

Not everybody has the experience here that a few of us do. Hell, I forgot more "fish basics" while I was stuck in the Persian Gulf in 91 than most could google in the next year. j/s.

I agree that it helps me remember to do it before I turn the water on if I'm using a water changer, or before I pour the water in if I'm using a bucket.

Alright, so i guess i will do it right before i begin to fill.
Thanks for all the input.

You and I both know what COULD happen, as many of these questions turn into other threads of sick fish.

Help - Forgot water conditioner on Cichlid Tank - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

The above simply being "I forgot". Also, I was moreover stating it's a better habit (until some have learned better husbandry) to establish a routine of doing it first so the "I forgot" doesn't happen. The above being the best quick example here. I could search the other forums as I've seen it there as well. For those on city water supply, why wait till after ? Treating a 10g after a 50% WC just seems totally absurd as (generally) filters are off and not moving (good) water, so why subject your investment to toxins and stress that could've easily been avoided ? That's merely the point I was trying to make. If I remember correctly, the last portion of my posted comment was "You will never question if you did it or not".

Not everybody has the experience here that a few of us do. Hell, I forgot more "fish basics" while I was stuck in the Persian Gulf in 91 than most could google in the next year. j/s.

"I forgot" is one thing, but to say that there could be serious problems if it's done during the refill when trying to make a case for establishing a good routine is negating the advice of others who have experience as well at doing things differently than the way you do them. I never said, nor would I ever suggest adding a de-chlor after a refill.

Now, being on city water myself, there is actually one problem that CAN arise regardless of when you put the de-chlor in, one that can crash a tank quickly. If you have had high rains/snow melt. The high water run off means the water treatment plants will be adding extra chemicals to treat the water. I find adding an extra cap full of Prime (my de-chlor of choice) has aided in keeping the tank crashes from happening.

"I forgot" is one thing, but to say that there could be serious problems if it's done during the refill when trying to make a case for establishing a good routine is negating the advice of others who have experience as well at doing things differently than the way you do them. I never said, nor would I ever suggest adding a de-chlor after a refill.

Now, being on city water myself, there is actually one problem that CAN arise regardless of when you put the de-chlor in, one that can crash a tank quickly. If you have had high rains/snow melt. The high water run off means the water treatment plants will be adding extra chemicals to treat the water. I find adding an extra cap full of Prime (my de-chlor of choice) has aided in keeping the tank crashes from happening.

I'm sorry but I've never seen anybody directly say "add it whenever". Any of the recent threads have all said to make sure you add to a tank BEFORE you put in new water.

I follow what your saying about city water and I'll take it one step further about high rains/snow melt. Being a snow removal contractor for our local water company, I've had this exact conversation with some of the techs in charge of the treatment process. Each one that I've spoken to about this has always advised me to treat the tank first because, "Some of the #*%^ that we use could really >\•¥ up your tank in no time". After the holiday I can get in touch with them and try to get a full list of what exactly they put in and why, but that will take a few days.

So we can go one more step in the journey here and I'll supply this quote from the Seachem website. Directions
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

Now it doesn't specify when to add to tank, but it clearly says to add to the new water first. So obviously there is a pretty good reason for them to say that.

I'm still a bucket changer. How do you use the changer? Do you stretch the hose through the house to the kitchen faucet?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I'm still a bucket changer. How do you use the changer? Do you stretch the hose through the house to the kitchen faucet?

Yes that's how it works. Depending on your water supplier, you may be charged for waste water (sewer) based on consumption. There is a way to alleviate the sewer bill if you don't drain aquarium water down the drain and use it to water a garden. There's a specific term, but I don't remember what it's called.

Nonpotable water I guess, but to me it still sounds easier to install a hose bib and a drain near the aquarium or just use a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom