How to feed a heart to discus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I know that discus love to eat beef heart but there was none in the shop so I bought some raw OX heart it is allready cut up into small pieces.

But how do I feed it to them ?

Well the puffer's loved it but discus struggled with it do i need to really really mash it up lol.

I have never fed my fish heart but I would think it would need to be shredded or chopped in very small pieces. :?:

Be sure to take any excess out. It makes one heck of a mess it it stays in to long. My Oscar loves the stuff.

Ingredients:

*500 grams (1 pound) beefheart
*350-500 grams (3/4-1 pound) chicken livers
*1 can of shelled green peas
*1 small packet of frozen spinach(150-200g)
*200 grams (1/2 pound) of prawns (I like to peel and head them otherwise they pass the shells and they end up sitting on the bottom of your tank)
*1 cup of fish food pellets crushed (soak this in some warm water to soften, they blends smoother if soft)
*1 packet of unflavored gelatine to bind

Method:

.....Its really quite simple, everything except the gelatine needs to be either minced or put in the food processors and made into a mince-like consistency. I recommend that you do each of the meaty ingredient in the food processor seperately and then combine all in a large mixing bowl. Its okay to blend all the veggies together. Once everything is blended up, combine it all in a bowl. Add the crushed fish food. Disolve the gelatine in a little water(as little as possible) then also add. Mix thoroughly. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the mix evenly on the trays at around 1/4" (5mm) thickness. Place two layers of baking paper over the mix and keep repeating until the tray is full. Allow to set up in the refrigerator, when firm score with the back of a knife into equal serving size portions. Freeze. Once frozen break portions up and store in a container in the freezer.

You can add or not add whatever you like but avoid corn; it is indigestable to fish and causes problems.

Recipe by Tony Snell
Conversions by Adam Dagna

Feeding beef heart should come with a warning. I will never use it. Even in barebottom tanks. It can quickly cloud and foul the water and unless discus have become accustomed to it at a young age, they turn their noses up at it.

There are so many high protein foods available that feeding beef heart is just not worth the pain. Feed high quality frozen bloodworms, tetrabits, earthworm flakes, CBW, and something for roughage (like shaved frozen spinach) JMO.

caution when feeding beef heart, they have done studies that show that keeping fish on a mammalian diet over long periods of time, may really screw up their system. (kinda like madcow). it bothers some fish, not others, i'll see if i can find a link.

Personally, I never could see the point in feeding beefheart to fish. It simply isn't part of their natural diet. :roll: (Picturing schools of discus gathered around a dying cow, waiting hungily... :twisted:) :lol: Somehow, they manage to survive in the wild, and even breed occaisonally, 8O without disembodied cow organs, whether whole or chopped :!:

I don't know anything about feeding heart, but I can point you in the right direction: a guy who goes by Mola Ram.

indiana-jones-e-templo-da-perdicao01.jpg

The Thuggee keep some healthy fish, I hear.

Back
Top Bottom