How to feed cats and plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm having a tough time making sure my bottom feeders are getting enough food. How is everyone taking care of theirs? I have a tank of African cichlids and they jump on anything that resembles food once it hits the water. I've tried dropping food in a night, but it looks untouched come the next morning.

I've been using NLS sinking pellets, and I just started using Hikari Algae wafers too. The cichlids like them both. Not seeing much action out of the cats and plecos.

Hmm, my cats love them, try feeding the cichlids at one end of the tank an drop them in at the other end

I usually sprinkle whatever I'm feeding them all over the tank to ensure everyone gets some. I'll try that with the wafers though. I just dropped half my pack of wafers in there about 10 minutes ago, so I'm hoping there is plenty left for the bottom feeders come night time.

Last edited:
I usually sprinkle whatever I'm feeding them all over the tank to ensure everyone gets some. I'll try that with the wafers though. I just dropped half my pack of wafers in there about 10 minutes ago, so I'm hoping there is plenty left for the bottom feeders come night time.

What kind of cats do you have?

Half a Pack??. How many plecos and cats have you got??

2 s. petricolas (1 inch maybe), 1 honeycomb cat (same size as petricolas), 1 blue eye long fin pleco (2-3 inches) and another pleco who I can't remember but he's also 2-3 inches.

2 s. petricolas (1 inch maybe), 1 honeycomb cat (same size as petricolas), 1 blue eye long fin pleco (2-3 inches) and another pleco who I can't remember but he's also 2-3 inches.
I don't have experience with those but half a pack seems a lot. I each should be more than enough....

Back
Top Bottom