How to get my ember tetras vivid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shramp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I have 3 ember tetras that were given to me by a friend when she had to move. While researching their care I realized how absolutely gorgeous they can get color wise. Mine look ok but they are not that deep almost red sparkly orange that I have seen.

I know that right now they are not in ideal conditions. I have them in an overcrowded 5 gallon tank currently because that was how I received them. However I do intend to move them to the 37 gallon tank I bought and planted once it has stabilized from the shrimp I added, and I plan to get 9 more embers so I have a school of 12 total.

As for diet I try to rotate out regular fish flakes with spirulina, plankton and bloodworms. They seem to really like the plankton, it really helped them sparkle more. I was curious as to if there is anything else I can add diet wise to help their coloration or if it's just a matter of waiting until I get them into their big tank with their school?

Interestingly, I also noticed that the duration the light is on seems to effect their coloring too. One day I was out of town and had not been able to turn the light on that morning and when I came back they were completely clear (gave me a heart attack) until I turned on the light upon which they regained color. I started experimenting and keeping the light on for 12 hours at a time vs the 8 hours I was doing seems to give them better color as well. I don't know how that works but it's just an observation. Anyone else notice this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!

You are going in the right direction.

Good quality, varied diet. Better living environment. Keeping a good number of social fish together.

Yes, fish colouration will wash out when the lights go off. It returns pretty quickly when the lights come back on. 12 hours a day is a bit much though. This will promote algae growth and green water. 8 hours a day is plenty, or go 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 back on.

And remember that those online photos are fish at their absolute best and photos can be enhanced too.

Back
Top Bottom