How to get nitrates down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big of a weekly water change do you do?
How high is your nitrates?
How often do you feed?
Do you even have any fish?

25% water change four rosboras (think that's how you spell it) feed twice a day nitrates at 10 and nitrites at 5

Nitrites should be 0. 50% Water change recommended. Nitrate of 10 is acceptable, and no cause for concern. Anything over 20-40 is when an additional water should be done in addition to your weekly maintenance.

How about your ammonia level?

a 5ppm nitrite level is waaaaay too high and quite toxic to fish. I would suggest 3 50% water changes today with an hour between then and then another tomorrow. You really need to get that nitrite level down.

Any time ammonia or nitrite hits 0.5ppm or above you should do a 50% water change. Any time nitrates hit 40ppm then another 50% water change should be done.

Generally people do 50% weekly for a water change for a fully cycled tank. Yours however isn't cycled and will need more frequent water changes to keep fish healthy.

I'd agree that 5 ppm is way too high for nitrite. I would start doing large, frequent water changes.

Also, I would recommend getting the API liquid FW master test kit. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, so you may not be getting correct readings.

Well those strips where free haha that's why I use them. But I'll start doing large water changes tomorrow don't want my fish to die thank goodness none have yet but you can tell they aren't happy :/

Well those strips where free haha that's why I use them. But I'll start doing large water changes tomorrow don't want my fish to die thank goodness none have yet but you can tell they aren't happy :/

Is it possible to start doing them tonight? 5 ppm nitrite is highly toxic, you don't want to wait very long.

As long as the conditioner removes chlorine, you're good. Personally, I don't think the easybalance is necessary - I haven't used it before, but it looks like an RO water additive rather than something to use with tap water.

Just curious, when performing a PWC, do you vacuum the fish gook from the substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom