How to Get Rid of Brown Algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my tanks has brown algae I rubbed it off but it's coming back and it's all over!!! How can I get rid of this problem?

Is this a newly established tank? It sounds like diatoms. A pain in the butt but they will burn themselves out as the tank becomes more established. Just keep cleaning them before doing a wc. Just another thing in the aquarium world that requires patience.

jlk said:
Is this a newly established tank? It sounds like diatoms. A pain in the butt but they will burn themselves out as the tank becomes more established. Just keep cleaning them before doing a wc. Just another thing in the aquarium world that requires patience.

Oh ok it's pretty old tank actually though. I thought there could be a fish or snail or something to get rid of it. I'll keep your advice in mind!

Thats a bit odd. Did you change anything recently such as an upgrade in lights or new substrate? Is it only in this tank & has it been happening the entire time its been setup? I honestly dont know if theres a fish/snail that eats this stuff- to the best of my knowledge, nothing eats it unfortunately.

jlk said:
Thats a bit odd. Did you change anything recently such as an upgrade in lights or new substrate? Is it only in this tank & has it been happening the entire time its been setup? I honestly dont know if theres a fish/snail that eats this stuff- to the best of my knowledge, nothing eats it unfortunately.

Its been a month or a little more that that since the brown algae was there. This is the only tank that it has happened to. I haven't changed anything but I just did a PWC and scrubbed it off and I hope it comes off for good.

Is there something different about this tank when compared to your other tanks that dont have this issue? Perhaps its heavily stocked or has sand? I am not an expert on algae issues but I believe an excess of silicates (such as from silica sand or your tap), phosphates or nitrates are all contributing factors. If your tap water was to blame, you would have this issue in all of your tanks so you will need to figure out whats different about this tank when compared to your others. Hopefully, someone with a bit more experience on this topic can ID what the exact issue here is!

Back
Top Bottom