How to get rid of this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have noticed this alge growing on my rocks and I have no idea how to get rid of it! I have vacuumed it reduced lighting and limited feedings! Is there anything I can do besides taking it out and scrubbing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1432007002521.jpg
    1432007002521.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 96
It is hard to tell from the photo what kind of algae that is, or even if it is algae. There is a bacteria called cyanobacteria that masquerades as algae. It loves light and nutrients in the water. I have just been battling it. Cut down on the light a bit or do a blackout for a few days, and lots of water changes. I did a water change every other day for a week, and now I am at every third day. So far so good. Make sure too that you are not over feeding. Hope this helps. By the way, cyanobacteria is much easier to remove from your plants and rocks than algae, so you can manually remove a lot of it pretty quickly.

If your tank is new then it's probably just diatoms which will go away on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your tank is new then it's probably just diatoms which will go away on its own.

+1 if it's diatoms, they feed off silicates in the water. Once they eat all the silicates, it goes away.

Caleb

My tank is about 3 years old! Lol could it still be diatoms?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like a cyanobacteria to me. Diatoms will rub off like dust, but cyanobacteria should come off like a film. I believe "blue-green algae" is actually a cyanobacteria if I recall correctly. They are bacteria that utilize photosynthesis to produce part of their energy. I think you can control them with your photo period as they can't live without the light, but since they get part of their energy without light it makes it interesting. I just ignored mine and split my photo period. Took a long time, but it went away.

You could probably spot treat with hydrogen peroxide.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom