How to give the water a "tainted" look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I had added a large piece of driftwood a while ago and it gave the water that yellowish tint from the tannins. I actually thought it looked good and really intensified the colors of my rams. I'll be getting tetras in the future and I think it'll compliment their colors as well. But after a couple water changes the water has become pretty clear again. Is there anything I can add to the water to give it that look? I'm not looking to get the water really yellow/brown, but just a slight tint to it.

Hey everyone, I had added a large piece of driftwood a while ago and it gave the water that yellowish tint from the tannins. I actually thought it looked good and really intensified the colors of my rams. I'll be getting tetras in the future and I think it'll compliment their colors as well. But after a couple water changes the water has become pretty clear again. Is there anything I can add to the water to give it that look? I'm not looking to get the water really yellow/brown, but just a slight tint to it.

Do you mean like a black water setup?

http://youtu.be/i9QAAWt4KRA

I guess so. But I thought if there were too much tannins it would significantly change the ph

Catappa leaves also known as Indian Almond leaves, oak leaves, thai banana leaves, these are all sold on aquabid and ebay. I use them with my tetras and bettas, they like tannins.

Catappa leaves also known as Indian Almond leaves, oak leaves, thai banana leaves, these are all sold on aquabid and ebay. I use them with my tetras and bettas, they like tannins.

This would be a better idea ten adding chemicals IMO. ALOT of people use this method to achieve the desired look of a "black water" setup.

How often do I have to replace the leaves if I put them in the tank? And how many should I put in?

I'm testing a new product for work - Easy Life Catappa-X, so far so good, most of the Catappa benefits without the tannins, although I actually like tannins.

I keep mine in the stand under the tank. Its dark there and I keep them in the plastic. They are dried so you don;t have to worry about decay too much

Back
Top Bottom