How to heal raggedy Betta fins? (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

A week ago I adopted a Betta from my neighbor. Their 4 year old child grew bored of her new pet and the mother could no longer find time to clean out the 2.5 gallon tank herself.

So, I took him in and he has settled into my 5 gallon heated, filtered, and cycled tank with a Zebra Nerite snail to keep up with the algae.

At first, I thought his fins were just how they always were, raggedy looking. But then my neighbor showed me a picture of the Betta when they first got him and wow was he gorgeous! I found out he is a double-tail that used to have really beautiful, full fins.

I'm assuming his fin quality has declined due to poor water quality, because he is still young.

So, what can I do to get his fins back to how they were? Will better water quality alone help over time, or do I need to do something else to get those fins back to tip top shape?

Thanks!!!

Clean water and good food. They may never be exactly like they use to be.

Ah, I see. What a shame. :(

As far as food goes, I usually feed my Bettas bloodworms, brine shrimp, and pellets (on alternating days, of course). Is that adequate?

mandy2936 said:
Ah, I see. What a shame. :(

As far as food goes, I usually feed my Bettas bloodworms, brine shrimp, and pellets (on alternating days, of course). Is that adequate?

Yep thats fine. Try not to over feed the bloodworms and brine shrimp. Once a week in very small quantities is alright but too much can cause constipation and bloat. A good quality pellet is good. Their bellies are about the size of their eye so it doesn't take much to fill them up.

Back
Top Bottom