How to keep fish shoaling together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batesy82

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I started my tank I wanted to keep my fish shoaling and swimming in groups. I started with 7 lemon tetras and they shoaled great, then I added 5 twin bar sunset platys and they shoaled; I had two separate groups of fish swimming together independently. Then I added 9 black neon tetras and they didn't shoal, but to top it off they caused my other fish to stop shoaling as well. Now I just have one big group of fish all over the place.

All my fish are healthy and I'm assuming happy, what causes this type of behavior?
I have a 120g tank, my other fish in the tank are 4 corys, 1 bristlenose pleco and 2 Otocinclus.

I've heard this said before - but for schooling fish, the schooling behavior is exhibited more when the fish are scared or defensive than when they are comfortable with their environment.

Schooling fish "school" in the wild because they are under constant threat from natural predators. In the aquarium, the combination of:

1. No natural predators.

2. A ton of other friendly fish.

Means that they really have no reason to school tightly and can instead just enjoy the environment.

If you wanted the Tetras to school tightly, you'd have to think about trading in the Platies and the Cory Cats, because the "funner and more active fish" send the signal to the tetras that it's OK to "let it all hang out".

Or add a bigger fish that won't eat anybody, then they'd be encouraged to shoal/school together.

Yeah, find something semi aggressive that is fairly slow. They won't be able to catch the tetras, but will cause them to school.

Um, why would you stress out your fish on purpose to make them school? If they're happy, then they should stay that way. They're not from the wild; they've been bred in captivity. So they're not used to predators anyway. Don't be cruel to fish for your own personal voyeurism.

So like an Oscar or something? That should do the trick! j/k

What about a gourami?

Depends with gouramis. I've put dwarf gouramis in with community tanks like that and they typically were just as docile as the fish around them. May help though.

Rosenweiss said:
Um, why would you stress out your fish on purpose to make them school? If they're happy, then they should stay that way. They're not from the wild; they've been bred in captivity. So they're not used to predators anyway. Don't be cruel to fish for your own personal voyeurism.

It doesn't stress them out that bad, it just gives them a reason to use each other as security blankets. Especially if the predator isn't super aggressive. Now it is cruel to put a truly aggressive fish in a tank to make fish school, but a peaceful/slow moving semi-aggressive fish won't do much harm.

Okay, just to be clear I was joking about putting an Oscar in with them.

Isn't a gourami a community fish? My LFS told me from the start I could mix them with tetras.

Batesy82 said:
Okay, just to be clear I was joking about putting an Oscar in with them.

Isn't a gourami a community fish? My LFS told me from the start I could mix them with tetras.

I know, I was just explaining to roseinweiss. Dwarf gouramis are community fish, just as long if you don't get more then one. Get a female just to be safe though.

I agree that 1 dwarf gourami couldn't hurt. But I wouldn't really label this a semi-aggressive fish unless it is with others of its species. It will do in a community. If a dwarf gourami is all you meant, then sorry, I thought you means something truly semi-aggressive more like a ram or other cichlid, or something of that sort.

You know they're happy how? Are you the fish whisperer?

Every fish has a genetic imposition to survive. Its not cruel to want to see them exhibit characteristics they naturally do. Not that introducing a predator would be smart, but most semi aggressives that would be suitable AREN'T natural predators. They may be a bit territorial, but they're not looking for a snack typically.

To address the whole "voyeurism" comment, if you're not interested in watching your fish why not just paint your glass black and go about your business. I think the whole reason the hobby is popular IS because people like to watch them.

Josh said:
To address the whole "voyeurism" comment, if you're not interested in watching your fish why not just paint your glass black and go about your business. I think the whole reason the hobby is popular IS because people like to watch them.

Amen

We were discussing how they're happy because they swim about peacefully with the other schoolers. In any case, I agree that fish are great to watch and that is partially why they are so amazing; however, I only meant that their happiness should be considered as well. I am sorry I came off so rough.

So back to my original topic...what about a pair of Dwarf Chocolate Gourami's? My LFS had them when I first started but I was told they were a tough fish to start a cycle with.

Attachments

• image-648918609.jpg
    image-648918609.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 75
You will need some pretty good water quality for a Chocolate gourami, because they are one of the more sensitive to higher nitrates or ph differences.

I tried an opalline gourami once, but my nitrates were out of control and I ended up finding him belly-up with no external signs.

Vircomore said:
You will need some pretty good water quality for a Chocolate gourami, because they are one of the more sensitive to higher nitrates or ph differences.

I tried an opalline gourami once, but my nitrates were out of control and I ended up finding him belly-up with no external signs.

Good to know! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom