How to know when Cory's are getting enough food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyAnglerFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
After going from cycling the tank with one lone bluegill, to around 20 tropical fish ( platys, neon tetras and corys) I'm wanting to make sure I do not:

1. overfeed them.
2. underfeed the corys

I see some of the flakes make it to the bottom, but I'm not sure it's enough for 4 corys. today I added some flakes straight to the water-flow and got them to the bottom. Is there a rule on how much to feed based on something other than the "what they can eat in 2 minutes?" I'm a little concerned that the corys aren't getting enough to eat.

Also, the corys will sometimes rush up to the top of the tank and hit the surface. I've got plenty of air in the water (oversized waterfall filter), but are they gulping air or trying to jump? :) LOL They don't look like "jumpers" to me, but what do I know? ha!

FlyAnglerFishKeeper said:
After going from cycling the tank with one lone bluegill, to around 20 tropical fish ( platys, neon tetras and corys) I'm wanting to make sure I do not:

1. overfeed them.
2. underfeed the corys

I see some of the flakes make it to the bottom, but I'm not sure it's enough for 4 corys. today I added some flakes straight to the water-flow and got them to the bottom. Is there a rule on how much to feed based on something other than the "what they can eat in 2 minutes?" I'm a little concerned that the corys aren't getting enough to eat.

Also, the corys will sometimes rush up to the top of the tank and hit the surface. I've got plenty of air in the water (oversized waterfall filter), but are they gulping air or trying to jump? :) LOL They don't look like "jumpers" to me, but what do I know? ha!

From what I heard if you have driftwood in there they will eat that if there's not enough food...

My advice is to invest in sinking food. There is virtually no way your corys will get enough to eat from leftover flakes alone. In my 150g I add flakes/ frozen foods to the top, then add sinking algae waffers and brine shrimp pellets for my corys. They need more than the leftovers to be happy. The darting to the top is normal behavior. As long as its not constant there's no need to worry.

Whitey73 said:
From what I heard if you have driftwood in there they will eat that if there's not enough food...

Really? Mine have never done that , nor have I seen or heard if any other people's have done that.

Anyway I would look into getting sinking tablets for them. Flake aren't sustainable enough for them. They will have trouble getting them because of the other fish. I would also buy some frozen food. ( bloodworm seem to work well with mine) there is always enough which reach the bottom. They usually get 3-4 bloodworms each. I feed them frozens every night. They also get the sinking tablets.
About the surface thing how often to they rush to the surface? What are your water levels?
Need anymore help just message me on here or on pm .

Mine rush to the surface sometimes too!! I also feed the shrimp pellets. They go crazy over them!!
I have also never seen mine on my driftwood;)

My advice is to invest in sinking food. There is virtually no way your corys will get enough to eat from leftover flakes alone. In my 150g I add flakes/ frozen foods to the top, then add sinking algae waffers and brine shrimp pellets for my corys. They need more than the leftovers to be happy. The darting to the top is normal behavior. As long as its not constant there's no need to worry.

I agree with all of this. My corys rush to the sinking pellets right away (they prefer Hikari but there are a lot of options out there) and then spend the rest of the day foraging around the bottom for remaining flakes. They also dart to the top all the time.

As a special treat, your corys might also like bloodworms occassionally.

Popping to the surface every once in a while is normal for these guys. I have shrimp pellets, bottom feeder tablets and algae wafers that I rotate through for mine. Never heard of the 'eating' of driftwood. Might be a myth.

Cory Cats actually have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath atmospheric oxygen but they also have gills and must have access to oxygen from both the air and from the water or they won't survive. They are bottom dwellers but frequently come to the surface for a gulp of air.

Back
Top Bottom