how to lower nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my nitrates in my 55 gallon have sky rocketed to 100mg/l. Think that's cause I hadn't cleaned my filter for several years and I hadn't changed the sponges in it. I've since bought some new sponges (I think they are supposed to be replaced every 3-6 months).

I've been doing a 50% water change a few times a week. And I've added some live plants but my nitrates won't go down. I can only use floating plants since my fish I have will uproot ant plants I put in the gravel

I'd say that would be your issue. I clean my filter and rinse pads in tank water once every two months. I couldn't imagine not cleaning it for several years. More frequent water changes and filter maintenance will soon fix your nitrate issues

I'd say that would be your issue. I clean my filter and rinse pads in tank water once every two months. I couldn't imagine not cleaning it for several years. More frequent water changes and filter maintenance will soon fix your nitrate issues

I can be a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my filter.

Just remember if your perameters go out of wack due to negligence. Then you then will create more work in the end to get them back on track. I think most of us have been there. I had a lfs tell me I only need to change my water once a month years ago. Now for several years I've done my own research. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom