How to lower PH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard this over and over and still have yet to have someone explain to me what kind of problems could arise.
My Ph sits at 8.8, tried the moss and still 8.8, added driftwood and still 8.8, added CO2 and guess what? Still 8.8. I have not found a natural way yet to lower my Ph

man and I thought my 8.4 was high. my pH stays around the 8.4 level regardless of what I do "naturally", the fish seem happy and healthy so I don't mess with it.

Messing with chemicals to lower ph is a bad idea IMO. My brother tried to lower his by adding something he was recommended by the fish store. After adding it for a few weeks it completely messed up his tank. The parameters were bouncing all over the place, he pretty much killed all the bacteria in the tank, which in turn killed all his fish. I have used driftwood to lower ph with some success but I would never go the chemical route.

I picked up some driftwood and at the recommendation of the pet shop owner, got some grape vine wood. Apparently this type is extremely effective at lowering ph... I was happy to see if my fish would adapt to the water at the current levels but if it works and its stable, that would be great :)
Will let you all know either way

Kursed said:
I picked up some driftwood and at the recommendation of the pet shop owner, got some grape vine wood. Apparently this type is extremely effective at lowering ph... I was happy to see if my fish would adapt to the water at the current levels but if it works and its stable, that would be great :)
Will let you all know either way

Hmm please do, I want to lower it a bit more for discus.

butterfly_koi said:
I have heard this over and over and still have yet to have someone explain to me what kind of problems could arise.
My Ph sits at 8.8, tried the moss and still 8.8, added driftwood and still 8.8, added CO2 and guess what? Still 8.8. I have not found a natural way yet to lower my Ph

Have you tested your water hardness (KH and GH)? Basic water tends to be hard (high KH) and this hardness is essentially what resists or buffers pH change. Unless you reduce this hardness or "soften the water" your water will be much more resistant to pH change and so is highly unlikely to be changed by natural methods.

If you don't have a large tank you can also use some RO water mixed in with your water changes that will lower your ph. Driftwood really does not lower ph on a permanent level. Its the tannins that the wood releases that lowers the ph and wood eventually stops leaching tannins.

Back
Top Bottom