how to make tap water safe for FW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I am needing some guidance on how to make my tap water safe to add it to my 29 long and 55 long also a 3g and at the moment my grandmas 10g (I take care of for her soon getting her a 55 or bigger next month for her 92nd bday. I currently fill old milk gallons (rinsed with hot water several times and air dried no soap) since I have a 18 month old they was easiest to get. ;) after they are clean and dry I fill with water from tap and sit aside for 24 -48 hours then I tap them to make the bubbles rise and sit for another 24 -48 then cap and ready for use whenever. The thing is this is taking up alot of space. I use a dechloriner after refilling do to chlorimine. Is there a simpler method for doing this as I am new to the hobby and the tanks was free. Any advice is greatly appreciated thany for your time.

Hello I am needing some guidance on how to make my tap water safe to add it to my 29 long and 55 long also a 3g and at the moment my grandmas 10g (I take care of for her soon getting her a 55 or bigger next month for her 92nd bday. I currently fill old milk gallons (rinsed with hot water several times and air dried no soap) since I have a 18 month old they was easiest to get. ;) after they are clean and dry I fill with water from tap and sit aside for 24 -48 hours then I tap them to make the bubbles rise and sit for another 24 -48 then cap and ready for use whenever. The thing is this is taking up alot of space. I use a dechloriner after refilling do to chlorimine. Is there a simpler method for doing this as I am new to the hobby and the tanks was free. Any advice is greatly appreciated thany for your time.

When you have to do a water change just add tap water right to your tank and add your conditioner i.e. Prime

This will be ALOT easier.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/water-changer.htm

Thank you. I use a gravel vac when removing water. Then I just refill pouring gallon by gallon. My tap water has high levels of chlorine and chlorimine in it and I killed a few fish in the past doing it that way do to the levels that's why I have to let it set. Is there a filter I can get just for this? What's the difference in distilled bottled water will that work? Do I just sit a bucket outside for rain water then bottle n use that. The issue is 20+ gallons of water sitting round.

Hey, like Convict said just add tap water right to your tank and add your conditioner. I know tap water can kill fish and that has happened to me I believe. This is what I do, I remove water using a tank to sink siphon then add the right amount of conditioner then the tap so the conditioner will be there when the water is added. Also, after the water is added I add a few more drops of conditioner (which is more thank a few, but just add a few). Buying tap from the store is expensive and I wouldn't use rain water, but like Convict also said an RODI unit will work. Here is a link to a video about one: How to Select an RODI Unit - YouTube

Thank you next time I will try ta add the chemicals than water straight from tap. I live in an apartment (on the 3rd floor) and we do not have water hook ups available even to our water heater its all soldered no screw connections even to sink. So an RODI unit is not really a possibility at this point. I'm also a full time father and junior in college full time so money is tight.

Sorry not trying to sound rude. I a using my phone and my lil angel thinks she needs to be in my lap and take my phone :)

Back
Top Bottom