How To Make This Driftwood Usable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up this driftwood yesterday, but I don't knoiw how to make it safe to put in my tank. I can't boil it because its too big and I don't want to break it apart. Should I put it in the bathtub and set the water as hot it will go and let it sit? Thanks!

img_1380438_0_00924eecfbd0aae8dda4b3ebf6f1117b.jpg

Do the bathtub method, let it soak for about two weeks, and daily, pour boiling hot water over it while scrubbing like nuts!

Take a wire brush to it to start, remove any bark. Then scrub it with a 1 to 20 bleach to water mix. Rinse thoroughly and the soak it in a tub or the tub. Hopefully it will sink.

You could always pick up a large trash can and soak it in that as well if the bathtub is an issue. If you don't know where the wood is from I would suggest a mild bleach bath with quite a few following rinses to rid it of any parasites or bacteria also.

The_Desacrator said:
What do I scrub it with? And I can't really let it soak for 2 weeks. We only have 1 bathroom/tub

I scrubbed with a new toothbrush lol. I soaked mine on and off. I let it soak during the day, and dry overnight before scrubbing, boiling, then soaking again the next day. (or just don't shower!) lol.

Where did you get it?

Boil on one end, then flip over and boil the other.

I got it from the freshwater river about a mile or two away from my house.

If I do it like that, the mid section wont be boiled. Its very long. +(

If the area it was collected in is healthy, it should be absolutely fine without. If there is doubt, better to boil away 2/3 of the possible issues than none at all. Nice pieces, what size tank are they going to go into?

Put it in your sink, bathtub, or trash can, and carefully pour the boiling water over it.

I took a wire brush to one opf the pieces, and I don't like how the finish looks, so I won't brush the second piece.

I got a 5 gallon bucket at home depot and I am soaking them in that. The parts that don't get soaked will be doused with boiling water

Back
Top Bottom