how to move a tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys... here to pick your brains again! I plan to move my tank from my bedroom to downstairs as there is more room. I know I would, obviously, have to empty out the water but my question is... will have have to empty the tank complety? will I have to remove the gravel and my bogwood to move it?

How big is your tank? I've moved tanks up to 180 gallons with some of the substrate still in it, though I wouldn't recommend it. Small tanks you may be ok moving with the substrate, but I would take the decor out at least. Other people may have a better answer for you.

How big is your tank? I've moved tanks up to 180 gallons with some of the substrate still in it, though I wouldn't recommend it. Small tanks you may be ok moving with the substrate, but I would take the decor out at least. Other people may have a better answer for you.
its a 68litre. I can take the bog wood out.... but I have plant substrate where plants are planted and gravel over the top so removing it all is really going to be a bugger!

Do you have a board or something you can set it on and have someone help you? To minimize the stress on the joints and glass

I wouldn't even take the fish out if it's that small of a fish tank, empty it down to about 2-3 inches of water, just enough to cover the fish without laying them down, then carry it CAREFULLY to the tank's new location, and stick it where it goes, then fill'er up.

On small tanks, don't overthink it. I moved an old glass 40L with some water and substrate several miles from an old house to a new house, up and down steps and never had a single hiccup. Then just recently I helped a buddy move 10G and 8G tanks half full from one apartment building to another, across town, with the fish still inside.

The key? Just keep things level, take everything slow, have a buddy there to help you if you need it.

I wouldn't even take the fish out if it's that small of a fish tank, empty it down to about 2-3 inches of water, just enough to cover the fish without laying them down, then carry it CAREFULLY to the tank's new location, and stick it where it goes, then fill'er up.

On small tanks, don't overthink it. I moved an old glass 40L with some water and substrate several miles from an old house to a new house, up and down steps and never had a single hiccup. Then just recently I helped a buddy move 10G and 8G tanks half full from one apartment building to another, across town, with the fish still inside.

The key? Just keep things level, take everything slow, have a buddy there to help you if you need it.
that makes things so much easier! thank you.

You can move it with some one to minimize shaking the substrate all over the place don't even have to take anything out I have helped a buddy move a 80g salt water tank waits a foot of substrate quarter full from third floor to basement only took the fish out anything higher then that I recommended emptying the whole tank and keep as much water as you can put fish in 4g buckets with air stones move tank set up add fish or call some pros I move a 180g empty in an apartment with three people needed carts and suction cups calling pros when I move [emoji13]

Back
Top Bottom