how to naturally raise ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is off the chart low and why do you want to raise it?

How does it differ from your tap water, or whatever water you're using? Let's figure out why it's low before we try to raise it, as there are different ways to do this.

David

+1 to David's idea. Check the pH of your tap and compare it to your tank. What is the pH reading as? Have you double tested tank water to make sure you did it right? What are you testing with?

Let's start there.

I tested my tap water, and it read about 7.4. The tank water is around 5. I'm using the api ph test kit, I haven't gotten around to getting the master kit yet.

Well, the good thing is, you don't have to raise your pH, you just have to find out what's lowering it! Please tell us as much as you can about your setup, e.g., decorations, substrate, filter media, etc. Also, a KH reading would be great, and how often do you do water changes? How long has the tank been set up?

David

I tested my tap water, and it read about 7.4. The tank water is around 5. I'm using the api ph test kit, I haven't gotten around to getting the master kit yet.

You may also want to set aside some tap water and let it sit overnight and then test it. As it degasses, the pH may shift.

I am also from Northern VA and in 2012 had to deal with tap water that had 1 ppm Ammonia and 10 ppm Nitrate. It cleared up in 2013.

Get the master kit online (less expensive).

When was the last time this tank got a water change? The easiest way to increase pH might just be to a good old fashioned water change.

Some rocks will do it too. I know slate does.

Do you have lots of driftwood in your tank? Driftwood lowers pH.

Well I emptied everything out today and replaced the gravel with flora max and gravel. It had two nittle ceramic house things, a rock? Two plastic plants, and little plastic shiny things. When I vaccumed the gravel, the guy who previously owned it hadn't cleaned it in a realy long time he said, and it kicked up the most atrotious(sp?) Amount of waste I have ever seen. The filter hadn't been changed in about a year, and was rotting. I put in some new media along with the old to get some BB in it. I just tested the ph again, and it went up slightly.

Well, the good thing is, you don't have to raise your pH, you just have to find out what's lowering it! Please tell us as much as you can about your setup, e.g., decorations, substrate, filter media, etc. Also, a KH reading would be great, and how often do you do water changes? How long has the tank been set up?

David

I don't know how long its been set up. The last guy said he hadn't changed it in a long time. I don't have a wayto test KH, sorry. The filter media was a carbon carteridge, but it was rotted.

I don't know how long its been set up. The last guy said he hadn't changed it in a long time. I don't have a wayto test KH, sorry. The filter media was a carbon carteridge, but it was rotted.

Now that we know a little more about the tank and its history, as you have observed, some much needed maintenance in the form of PWCs and vacuuming should correct the pH. Not saying that you do not need to test KH/GH (API makes a test kit for it), it appears that lack of maintenance may be the root cause rather that a buffer problem (KH level).

I'm scared what's old tank syndrome Cause my ph is around 6 and my tap is 7. And the tank I have is 6 years old

Old tank syndrome is a degradation of water quality that can occur over time if preventative maintenance is not performed regularly. Often fish living in these conditions will adjust to it over time, however, new fish sometimes cannot make the adjustment (e.g. - high nitrates) and die after being introduced. Correcting the situation through PWCs and vacuuming can improve the water quality, however, drastic changes should be avoided because they can be as harmful to the fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom