How to properly clean fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiliana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don’t know what I should clean in my tank. I also don’t know if I should add new water after I vacuum clean the gravel since it’ll be low, but I don’t know if it’ll harm the fish that are in there. I’ve looked on YouTube and google but I haven’t found anything that’ll help me. Please help

I just wipe down glass with an algae scraper whenever i notice algae build up. Probably monthly.

Weekly water change.

How often i gravel depends on the tank. If a tank produces a lot of detritus then it might be weekly. If not it might be monthly. But i do this at the same time as a water change.

Filter maintenance every 4 to 6 weeks. Rinse off filter media with water taken from the tank. Clean off any moving parts like the impeller, impeller cap and shaft to prevent wear and tear and extend the life of these parts.

The only reason to clean the tank is if it doesn’t look good and you want to make it look clean. You’re not obligated to clean any of it. Your main concern should be the quality of the water. If you don’t have a test kit to test ammonia and nitrate levels you should get one. Your ammonia levels should be zero and your nitrate levels should be between 0 and 20 ppm.

If you don’t have one of those kits, at the very least do a 25% water change each week. If you are going to use tap water you need to get a tap water conditioner from your local pet store. You need to mix the tapwater first with the conditioner before adding it to the tank. There is chlorine in your tapwater which will harm the fish and the conditioner gets rid of that Chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom