How to reduce nitrAtes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tap water contains around 30ppm of nitrates. So when I do PWC it doesn't reduce them in my fish tank. Is there any chemical or biological way to reduce them in my tank?
I heard that adding very porous lava rock will help. Supposedly nitrate reducing bacteria prefer oxygen free environment and they settle well in porous lava rock. Does any one heard of this method? Any other method?

BHead707 said:
plants use nitrate, is your tank planted?

Yes. It is planted. Not very heavily, most plants are still small.
I am afraid that having 40ppm of nitrates in a long run will harm my fish. I know plants need nitrates but so far they seem not to reduce them.

They make nitrate filters?
Any way, water changes and having lots of plants. But if your plants aren't absorbing the nitrates, do water changes to lower the levels. There will always be some nitrate, so I wouldn't worry about the plants as much as the well-being of the fish.

Your NitrateQuestion

Hello Ice...

Nitrates in the range you're talking about aren't bad. A lot of tank keepers would like to have your problem.

I have several tanks that have been running for years and I just replace half the water in them every week with clean, treated water and don't worry about testing.

The reason is if you do large, weekly water changes, there's simply no time for pollutants to build up in the tank before the next large water change. This routine makes waterkeeping so much simpler.

B

My tap water contains around 30ppm of nitrates. So when I do PWC it doesn't reduce them in my fish tank. Is there any chemical or biological way to reduce them in my tank?
I heard that adding very porous lava rock will help. Supposedly nitrate reducing bacteria prefer oxygen free environment and they settle well in porous lava rock. Does any one heard of this method? Any other method?

As was mentioned, plants are a great way to deal with nitrates. Anacharis and I think Hornwort are nitrate sponges.

jcolon said:
As was mentioned, plants are a great way to deal with nitrates. Anacharis and I think Hornwort are nitrate sponges.

Thanks. I was getting to get some hornwort anyway, so now I have another reason to get it.

Aces11 said:
They make nitrate filters?
Any way, water changes and having lots of plants. But if your plants aren't absorbing the nitrates, do water changes to lower the levels. There will always be some nitrate, so I wouldn't worry about the plants as much as the well-being of the fish.

Yeah, I saw a video on youtube for a product called "aquaripure"

it works great, i have used it another route u could go with its using ro water its a way better option and u dont have to use chemicals, but if u do use ro water i would recommend mixing it wit the tap and introduce it slowly so it wont change ur ph too much

Back
Top Bottom