How to remove those darn brown stains?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoseidonCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a few patches of brown (algae?) stains on the glass of one of my aquariums that the magnetic scraper can't remove. What's the best way to get rid of these without scratching the glass? I can lower the water level during a change but the stains at the substrate line will always be under water so I need a method that's safe for the fish in an occupied tank. Thanks for your help.

reach your hand into the tank and apply a little elbow grease to the problem. ;)
That way you can also get along the substrate.

LOL, tried and failed. Was going to use a scouring pad next (without detergent of course) but was worried about scratching the glass. Are you saying go for it?

LOL, tried and failed. Was going to use a scouring pad next (without detergent of course) but was worried about scratching the glass. Are you saying go for it?

I would try a razor blade if that doesn't work.
I assume you are not going to use steel wool or a brass pad, because they definitely will scratch the glass. One of those "ScotchBrite" green scrubbing pads will be fine.

I use a microfiber cleaning cloth... I don't think it hurts the glass??

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

x3 on razor. I bought a 5 or 6" one at a hardware store. Have to change blades regularly as they rust, but it's the best thing for glass.

NOT acrylic. NOT plastic. NOT silicon, stay away from the corners. But it won't scratch glass if you keep it clean.

What will scratch glass is any kind of sand rubbed on the glass, so I never use those magnets. One small piece of sand in it and you can scratch your whole tank if you're not paying attention. Same with anything you clean with... if you get near the bottom or stir up the substrate (assuming you have rocks/sand of course), be sure to take out whatever you are cleaning with and get any sand off of it.

I would try a razor blade if that doesn't work.
I assume you are not going to use steel wool or a brass pad, because they definitely will scratch the glass. One of those "ScotchBrite" green scrubbing pads will be fine.

+1 for ScotchBrite. I use an older one so it isn't so rough (after rising alot). Just make sure there isn't a rock or something else that will scratch the glass like I did.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom