How to Replace Bio Bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
this morning i discovered taht the whisper filter in one of my 10 gals in barely pumping out water, i quickly found the water logged bio bag to be the problem.

so, i was planning on picking up a new bio bag after work, but how do i switch it out without losing the bacteria in the old bio bag? should i leave the old bag in the tank while the new bag accumulates bacteria?

or is there better filter material than a bio bag?

Thanks!

FWIW:

I'd just rinse the old biobag in used tank water during a water change.

For future reference:

If you want to change out filter material, just tear a good sized portion of the filter bag and leave it in with the new media. I do not use any form of pre-packaged media anymore. I buy bulk filter floss for like $2 a giant bag, a jar of seachem matrix or fluval ceramic cylinders, a jar of activated carbon and keep old pantyhose to make my own filter bags.

Cheaper, and you have more control over your media.

thanks for the info and idea!

i rinsed the bag last week in my change and it just got worse. plus i still have some money on a gift card, so it'll be free!

however, i do like your idea of creating your own media. though i have to say that i don't have any pantyhouse laying around, and i want to retain some of my pride in not buying any. but, if it's for the fish...

ask your mom/sisters/girlfriends to keep the ones they snag and give them to you.

Back
Top Bottom