How to rise ph up ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi :)
Ph in r/o water is 6.4 - which is good to keep discus :) and KH about 3 degree
But after 8 weeks the pH going down :-(
My API tester shows 6 - to see lower result is impossible with this tester :-(
I got electronic one which shows 5.4 :-(( !!!!
How to rise up the ph on natural way to get 6.4 - 7 ?
I heard about crushed corals.
What about to add snails shells ?- the calcium should go up what will change the KH up too - which is too lower 1 degree in the tank
And maybe with higher KH the pH will more steady :-/
Does any one has experience with this topic?

Please for advice

Tad

Crushed coral will work. To reach your goal start with a little at a time like a pound or so. And also limestone rocks will help also with the hardness.
I'm not a expert but it works in my tank with no chemicals.

If you are doing enough water changes it should not be an issue. If you need adjustment in addition to water changes then a little crushed coral in the filter, like it's carbon, is perfect. Start with less and add as needed.

Fishguy2727 said:
If you are doing enough water changes it should not be an issue. If you need adjustment in addition to water changes then a little crushed coral in the filter, like it's carbon, is perfect. Start with less and add as needed.

The tank it's about 120 l and changing water daily minimum 10 l what should keep the pH higher :-/

Just add a little crushed coral in the filter and you should be fine.

You don't want to raise the pH, you want to stabilize it. The pH of good RO/DI water should be 7.0, completely neutral, but very unstable. You'll need to add buffers to the water to prevent pH swings. Try to keep the water a bit acidic for discus. Seachem makes a pretty good buffer system. They have two chemicals, one to raise, one to lower, that you mix into the water to reach your desired pH. For fish as sensitive as discus, that's the route I'd take.

BigJim said:
You don't want to raise the pH, you want to stabilize it. The pH of good RO/DI water should be 7.0, completely neutral, but very unstable. You'll need to add buffers to the water to prevent pH swings. Try to keep the water a bit acidic for discus. Seachem makes a pretty good buffer system. They have two chemicals, one to raise, one to lower, that you mix into the water to reach your desired pH. For fish as sensitive as discus, that's the route I'd take.

Yes I'm agree with the buffer but I need to find a natural way to keep the ph stable without chemicals - better for fish and plants :)

Crushed coral will release carbonate hardness (KH) which is exactly what will stabilize pH, and the only thing that will.

You can use buffers but you will need good liquid KH, GH, and pH test kits and monitor all of these along with water changes and amount of buffer added (ideally in something like Excel, but on paper is fine too). This is the only way to safely alter pH/KH without risking crashes or a roller coaster effect. Once a dose is figured out (such as two teaspoons per 30 gallon water change) you still need to check periodically to ensure it is the proper dose long term.

I used buffer more than year ago and for sure don't wanna use it any more until will know can't find and different way to set up all chemistry of water.

That's my new tank - started near 3 months ago. After first feel up the ph was going up from 6,4 r/o water to above 9. It's makes me mad.
The problem was a black gravel from ....... company which rise the ph up and slowly change colour of water in black.
So I changed the gravel and now I got black san.
Before add fish the water has got pH 6,4 like from r/o and KH 3 GH 6
The fish are about a month in , the water looks crystal clean and fish looks healthy but pH 5,4 KH 1 GH 4 too low :-(
Don't know what makes this change - probably live in it lol
However need to set up the quality of water on steady level without fun with buffer and other chemicals.

So going to try with marinate snails shells and after with crushed corals and then with limestone
Wanna start from snails shells cause got plenty at home after my last holiday :)
If that doesn't help will start to spend money for other staff :)

Thx guys for advice :)

How is your tap water?

I don't know what is more important for the discus, stable little acidic pH, or the water hardness. But in my case doing PWC with my tap water, which is hard water, the salts from the water are my best buffer, my pH is all the time 7.4,

I'm not expert is just my two cents opinion.

And I don't have discus also

Last edited:
ejaramillo01 said:
How is your tap water?

I don't know what is more important for the discus, stable little acidic pH, or the water hardness. But in my case doing PWC with my tap water, which is hard water, the salts from the water are my best buffer, my pH is all the time 7.4,

I'm not expert is just my two cents opinion.

And I don't have discus also

Hi :)

I using RO water which is pH 6.4 and KH3 and GH5
Conductivity is about 80

Something in the tank makes the water softer :-/
A few days ago u put shells into filter
So now the
pH from 5,4 goes up to 6.2
KH from 1 goes to 2
GH from 4 goes to 8
and conductivity (all minerals together) from 260 goes up to 300

I read the best conductivity for discus is between 50 - 150
So now I'm lost
Looks like the chemistry of water going to be better what's makes me happy lol
But the conductivity ? I was looking for information- but could not find nothing deeply than general what doesn't says nothing :-/

Wow. I couldn't even tell you what my pH is, let alone any of that other stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom