How to sell my tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avocado Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

The time has come for me to move (internationally), and therefore I cannot take my beloved tank with me. It's a beautiful 40-gallon tank, deliberately understocked with 8 rummy-nosed tetras, a yo-yo loach, and 2 otos. It's also lightly planted (though has a pest snail problem), and has an awesome set of LED lights.

So I thought about posting it on craigslist, but I'm worried about the safety of my fish. I really don't want a newbie buying it and then inadvertently killing the fish right away...I've become rather attached to them and their good health. Is there a good way to ensure that fish go to a good home? I'd be willing to part with them for free and then just sell the plants and equipment, if I just knew that they'd be taken care of.

Have any of you dealt with this before? What are your ideas?

I would give the fish to a friend or sell them to a pet store. List the Tank on Craigslist for a reasonable price. I would take the light strip and filter and start a new tank at your new house.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try shipping them to yourself and collecting them at your new place. Not sure how international shipping is managed. Either that or maybe check them into luggage on the plane? It'd be easy to temporarily set them up in a Rubbermaid tote until you can get another tank set up.

I'm gonna pass on shipping them to myself just because I don't have the faith that they'll make it alive. Plus there's nothing quite set up for them on the other end.

Too bad my friends aren't into fish like I am...maybe I need to make new friends. Maybe I'll call the LFS (not the chain store nearby - they are terrible) and see if they'll take them.

Back
Top Bottom