How to sink the freeze dried blood worm to the bottom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't get it to sink while it's frozen. Let it defrost in the aquarium and the bloodworms will sink to the bottom eventually.

I take a cup of water from the aquarium, let it defrost in there and then tip it in.
Gets spread out really well that way and everyone seems to get some.

Thanks. But before it goes to the bottom, all are gone eaten by other fishes. I want to find a quick way to sink it to the bottom. This maybe not help much, as other fishes can also find them first before the cory, unless I separate them.

Is it freeze-dried or frozen? If freeze-dried, you should soak it in tank water first; it can cause problems guts-wise if you feed it dry. It sinks better, too, when soaked first.

I use a 1 3/4 inch clear plastic tube to reach the bottom of the tank and pour the thawed out bloodworms.

As for the freeze-dried, they have always stayed floating for me.

If you put the food in and nothing even gets to the bottom at all then maybe your not feeding enough.

I have a fair few fish and they all love their food but some of mine still gets to the bottom.
Doesn't stay there long mind, but it gives everyone a chance.

I use the frozen stuff just for that reason. I have a shot glass, put the frozen worms in with some water. when melted, dump in the tank. A half cube dumped in near the output of the canister filter spreads around rather well so that all get some, especially my spiny eel. Even the greedy angels, danios, and tetras can't snap them all up before the get down to the bottom for the cories and eel.

I am using the freeze-dried one, which is very hard to sink, but is very safe as no living parasites. I am put the dried bloodworm directly to the tank and don't see any problem on fishes, except the bottom feeders who don't have a chance on it.

I know there is bloodworm sinking pellets selling on ebay. Anyone know where I can buy in USA other than on ebay?

freeze-dried worms DON'T sink

Frozen worms DO sink

but as many have said - freeze dried is less messy and Safe

Mine definitely sink once soaked a bit; perhaps 'cause I mince them before soaking for my teensy fish, or maybe it's the brand (Hikari).

Please. Look people, he says they are freeze-dried bloodworms, not frozen ones. If your pets eat the freeze-dried ones without preparation it causes bloating and illness, so don't do that. His question was: "How to sink the freeze dried blood worm to the bottom so that the cory can get it?" The answer is fairly simple. Get some aquarium water in a small container (I use a teaspoon because I have a small aquarium) and soak the freeze-dried bloodworms until they sink in the container. This may take half an hour or more. Then, when you put them in the aquarium, they will sink.

Please. Look people, he says they are freeze-dried bloodworms, not frozen ones. If your pets eat the freeze-dried ones without preparation it causes bloating and illness, so don't do that. His question was: "How to sink the freeze dried blood worm to the bottom so that the cory can get it?" The answer is fairly simple. Get some aquarium water in a small container (I use a teaspoon because I have a small aquarium) and soak the freeze-dried bloodworms until they sink in the container. This may take half an hour or more. Then, when you put them in the aquarium, they will sink.

Exactly!!! Soak the product in water and it will sink. To the OP, because you can't get these worm to the bottom past your other fish fast enough, go to the $1.00 store ( now called the $1.25 store) and get a turkey baster. Use the turkey baster to disperse the soaked food directly to the bottom for your bottom feeders. Its better that it's no longer in cube form ( btw) because other fish can not hog all the food so your fish will get their share, you can target feed with the baster and if you feed your other fish first so that they are feeding at the surface, it will make squirting your FD foods to the bottom easier. (y)

Back
Top Bottom