How to stop my goldfish from eating the algae wafers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whenever I put in an algae wafer for my 4 peppered corys my glutton of a goldfish will always eat it before the corys can. I've tried hiding it behind dense plants but he always finds it. I'm worried that he will overeat and that my corys won't eat enough. I've though of putting a water bottle or something with a small opening so only the corys can get it. Any ideas?

Thanks

tank size and i believe corys need a heater at about 78 * but dont hold me to that, only estimating and guessing. While goldfish forsure are not to be heated as they are cold water fish. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Feed them at night when all the lights are out, including the ones in the room the tank is in. Also, don't just feed cories algae tabs, you'll want to get ones for bottom feeders that has meat in it like shrimp, they eat a variety of foods not just algae.

No the peppered Cory's are different they prefer cooler water around 70-74 degrees.

Paleatus Cats are carnivores so the algea waffer is not entirely necessary. I would feed them when the lights go out and use 1/2 of a blanched pea. Mine love it. Also, Paleatus Cats can tolerate lower, sub-tropical temps. Indoors they should be just fine with goldfish. If you ever try to spwan them, you need to drip ice water in the tank and lower the temp.

So feeding em at night will keep the goldfish from getting it? And the algae wafers was just what the guy at petco recommended when I got my first corys. They're not completely algae, they just have an algae center. The rest has other stuff I believe.

I don't know if this helps....I don't have goldfiss...only mollies, guppies, and cories.

I have a sand substrate and I just crush flake food really small and dump that in. The cories sift through the substrate and eat what lands. Alternately, I drop in extra large size flaks that are wider and thicker so the other fish don't eat it before it lands....the cories will nibble at the edges and eventually eat it.

my .02

Past feeding at night that is about it. Goldfish are pigs and will eat anything and everything

Very, very true!! Just be aware that the cories may eventually become dinner as well and it will not be a happy ending for either the Cory or the goldfish.

I've got a few gold fish in my tank and I know how fast they will eat ANYTHING. What I do to make sure all my fish eat is I went to walgreens and ask the pharmacist for a syringe for Tylenol or medicine for kids. (I don't use it for that tho) I'll take some Brain shrimp and put them in a container with a bit of tank water and I use the syringe to make sure everyone gets some. My fish know what's going on now and even my Pleco will come and wait on the side of the tank for his share. The ones that don't come up will get some shot there way.. And that way I also know if someone isn't eating or acting funny. If they don't take the shrimp I know something is wrong.. Works for me!

Sorry but I have to ask...
How big is your Goldfish tank ?
How many Goldfish ?
Other Fish ??

Goldfish require quite large tanks.

Ok, off the soapbox.
I love Cories, I would not mix them with Goldfish usually.

I don't know if this helps....I don't have goldfiss...only mollies, guppies, and cories.

I have a sand substrate and I just crush flake food really small and dump that in. The cories sift through the substrate and eat what lands. Alternately, I drop in extra large size flaks that are wider and thicker so the other fish don't eat it before it lands....the cories will nibble at the edges and eventually eat it.

my .02

Thanks, my cories eat the extra that falls but I prefer to give them tablets meant just for them.

Very, very true!! Just be aware that the cories may eventually become dinner as well and it will not be a happy ending for either the Cory or the goldfish.

You really think he would eat the cories? They get a couple of inches and they were reccomended.

I've got a few gold fish in my tank and I know how fast they will eat ANYTHING. What I do to make sure all my fish eat is I went to walgreens and ask the pharmacist for a syringe for Tylenol or medicine for kids. (I don't use it for that tho) I'll take some Brain shrimp and put them in a container with a bit of tank water and I use the syringe to make sure everyone gets some. My fish know what's going on now and even my Pleco will come and wait on the side of the tank for his share. The ones that don't come up will get some shot there way.. And that way I also know if someone isn't eating or acting funny. If they don't take the shrimp I know something is wrong.. Works for me!

Would this work with flakes?

Sorry but I have to ask...
How big is your Goldfish tank ?
How many Goldfish ?
Other Fish ??

Goldfish require quite large tanks.

Ok, off the soapbox.
I love Cories, I would not mix them with Goldfish usually.

The issue of tank size and such was solved in another thread. He is in a 30 gallon long with currently only 4 peppered cories. The cories were said to be fine with the goldfish. Peppered cories do well in colder water.

Yes I think it would work just crush up the flakes and put a little tank water in it. All you can do is try. I've used it for blood worms too.

I don't think it'll help much though. As I feed the cories wafers. I put the wafer in last night with the lights out and I never *saw* him eat it.

I do this for my cories, Khulis and bn plec because I have a bunch of guppies, which are basically goldfish shrunk down in terms of hogs. I never actually see them eat it, but none of them are skinny or unhealthy looking, so I know they are getting food. Just keep doing it, and keep an eye on them. If they start looking like they aren't getting fed, we can figure something out.

The cories will be fine has your goldfish acted aggressively to them at all or chased them? If he hasn't your cories are fine I suggest getting them some type of small cave though for structure if you don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom