Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How to swap tanks while doing as little damage as possible

I'm about to set up and cycle a 29g for a school of tiger barbs I overstocked (didn't consider space taken by filters, substrate, plants and driftwood). I'm trying to imagine how to move the established 20g tank and set up a 29g in it's place and moving 10 tiger barbs, all without the bottoms bursting out or killing the beneficial bacteria/fish in the process.

The tank is strategically placed on top of my bar, with plenty of support on the frame of the tank, but none on the bottom glass pane. Is this dangerous? Looking into buying a multitude of stands for my tanks (4 and growing), but I'm enjoying where they are currently set up 👌.Click image for larger version

Name:	0323171352_HDR.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	298478

Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A pic of my buddies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421171231_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	298479  

Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That does seem like alot of weight up there. It's all how it was framed. I doubt theres a lot of 2x4 in there but I may be wrong.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think the bar is pretty solidly built, could be mistaken however.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may be ok...good looking tanks btw
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, should I be concerned about a loss of bacteria if I drain most of the water in order to drop the weight? I don't trust the pressure from the inside on the bottom of the tank...
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Next to no bb in water column. Majority is in filter, substrate, and hardscape
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Enthusiast

Tank of the Month Award

Very clean looking tanks. If you are just moving the tanks, take the waterline all the down the right above the substrate and move the tank. I have done this no problem. When cycling the new tank, put two cups of gravel from the old tank in the new tank to jumpstart the cycling process. But be careful. I did that, and did a write up of it in my signature below. It is critical to get substrate from different levels.

WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
Next to no bb in water column. Majority is in filter, substrate, and hardscape
Excellent, thanks alot!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw0004 View Post
Very clean looking tanks. If you are just moving the tanks, take the waterline all the down the right above the substrate and move the tank. I have done this no problem. When cycling the new tank, put two cups of gravel from the old tank in the new tank to jumpstart the cycling process. But be careful. I did that, and did a write up of it in my signature below. It is critical to get substrate from different levels.
Thanks for the advice, I hate to muck up the substrate but will do anything to avoid waiting for my new tank to cycle.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Enthusiast

Tank of the Month Award

I would really look at how I did it then. I had to do a complete gravel swap with a new filter and everything. Took my main tank a week to cycle, compared to 6 weeks. My tank is a 25 gallon, so similar to yours. Just click on my signature below and I walked everyone through step by step on what to do. Especially the cycle part. And learn from my mistake I talked about in it. Not worth going through what I am going through with my GBR.

WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can put 1/4 of your gravel in a nylon Stocking so that you don't have to worry about mixing it with the new substrate and just set it in the corner, make sure you keep your filters wet (media) with water from that tank, if you're using the same substrate just take it from the old tank and put it in the new, after you get the new tank set up add live bacteria as well, double the first dose and follow up the following week after a pwc with the recommended.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
You can put 1/4 of your gravel in a nylon Stocking so that you don't have to worry about mixing it with the new substrate and just set it in the corner, make sure you keep your filters wet (media) with water from that tank, if you're using the same substrate just take it from the old tank and put it in the new, after you get the new tank set up add live bacteria as well, double the first dose and follow up the following week after a pwc with the recommended.
Luckily I have a lot of used media at this point. I'm worried about stirring up the substrate and plants in the 20g with the barbs in it bc I will have to keep them in there until the larger tank cycles. Just started setting up the new tank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0425170016_HDR.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	298525  

Tags
age, damage, swap, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com