How to train convict and red tailed shark to surface feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do i get my convict and red tailed shark to eat from the surface of the tank? I feed my fish new life spectrum pellets and algea wafers for my bristlenose pleco. But my tiger barbs eat all of the pellet food at the surface so my shark and convict dont get any. When my convict was young he used to eat from the surface with the tiger barbs, but for some reason now he just waits for the plecos algea wafer. Since the shark and convict always eat the pleocs algea wafer i started dropping in 2 hikari bottom feeder wafers along with the algea wafer so that the pleco can eat his wafer. Sorry for my bad grammar.

Since you are talking about 2 fish that are generally bottom feeders, it's like asking "How do I train a human to eat food underwater? " It's best to feed them at their comfort level not try to change that. With all the different food types available today, I'm sure you can find foods that work.
Another suggestion would be to feed the fish at different spots in the tank. For example, add food for your top feeders on the right side of the tank and the food for your bottom feeders on the left side. This way, there is little competition for the same foods.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom