How to vacuum without sucking up small fish/shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dm76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Up until now I have had decent sized fish in my 50 gal that I can see easily while doing water changes and don't have to worry about sucking them up, as they move away anyways. Now as I add more fish and shrimp, I am worried about sucking them up. I have seen where people say to not stick the syphon in the gravel, or put nylon over it, but how are you supposed to vacuum the gravel if you do that? Is it not necessary to vacuum it each time? I typically do to clean any gunk down there while I am doing a PWC. Is it easy to accidently suck a fish up there, or do they tend to stay away or swim away from it? I use a Python by the way.

womens panty hose

or get a worm feeder cup flip it upside down and shove it in the end of the vac. 100% water & debris only, no fish.

I stick my syphon in the gravel, suck some up and let the gravel fall back. You can turn the water flow off if need be, let the gravel fall out and then back on to suck all the debris out. Works well for me. Oh and no, you don't have to clean the gravel every time and when you do, maybe every 2nd or 3rd PWC, you only need to clean about half of it at a time or so. That keeps the bio's happy. As far as nothing over the end of your python's syphon head, they make a plastic screen cover thing for just that purpose. That might solve your problem or as WhiteDevil suggests, stick a paper cup or something over the end, punch small holes in it and use that. Same deal for free.

Great, thanks for the advice. I was having to clean the gravel every time because I was having algae issues, but that is under control now I think so maybe I won't have to clean it as much. I was probably doing too thorough of a job!

Great, thanks for the advice. I was having to clean the gravel every time because I was having algae issues, but that is under control now I think so maybe I won't have to clean it as much. I was probably doing too thorough of a job!

Glad we could help.

Brad, what size cup? a paper dixie cup?

I just worry about those because the wax that is in those cups to keep them from saturating.

i got my "python" at walmart and it actually has this neat little thing that snaps on to the vac... its ribbed and has little slots in it... never had to worry about fish getting in, and after i clean the substrate, i just set the end of the tube at about the halfway mark on my tank, shove the other end of the tube out the door and let it do its own thing until it quits syphoning....

Brad, what size cup? a paper dixie cup?

I just worry about those because the wax that is in those cups to keep them from saturating.

You know, you're probably right. The wax probably wouldn't hurt anything but why take the risk. Probably best to get the thing that snaps on to the end of the syphon. A worm feeder cup or something similar would work too I'm sure.

i have sucked up 1 fish in all my years. i really dont worry about it anymore. as for shrimp i feed on the one side then suck the water up. i dont even use anything over the python. since mines planted i just go over the surface.

This might be a little off topic now from my original post, but are you saying if the tank is planted, you don't need to stick the vac in the gravel and suck all the gunk out? Is that stuff all used by the plants? Do you just pretty much run it along the surface of the gravel? How often do you guys do that as opposed to just doing a PWC leaving the vac at the top of the water?

Is it possible to do PWC's too often? I haven't tested my water in a couple months, but have been the last couple weeks. The Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates have been 0. Should I wait til the nitrates go up a little bit before I do a PWC? Isn't it good to have some nitrates for the plants?

You cant stick the python into the gravel in planted tank as most planted tanks have carpet grass over the gravel so all the plants get in the way.

Also the roots are in the gravel so you risk causing damage to the root structure.

Its best to "waft" the vacuum at the gravel, the water movement causes debris to be lifted from the ground and you then suck it up as it comes off the bottom.

I have actually setup my powerheads in such a way that almost all of my detritus/debris congregates in one area of the tank so all I have to do is vacuum that area, the rest I leave to fertilise the plants.

This might be a little off topic now from my original post, but are you saying if the tank is planted, you don't need to stick the vac in the gravel and suck all the gunk out?
if you can get to it you can. though most of my tanks i cant gravel vac with out hurting the roots. i just go across the stop kicking up the dirt as i can.

you cant do too many water changes. i do weekly 50% water changes.

Back
Top Bottom