How to Visually balance stock in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone out there, who is picky about aesthetics, have any "visual" principles you follow when choosing your assortment of fish? Other than the levels at which they swim?

I just moved from a 29 to a 56 and am stumped, in narrowing down the fish I could add. I've never been pleased with my initial stock (they all look too similar) but have found it hard to predict what's nicest to watch or look at.

For instance ...

Would you suggest a maximum/minimum on the different varieties of fish? What about as the tank gets bigger?

How much do you consider different shapes, sizes, behaviors, colors ... ?

Tanks with lots of different bright colored fish look disjointed to me, but my 6 varieties of small fish in coppery tones with black markings looks weird too because they don't stand out from each other.

Seems like adding other varieties would add interest. But then again small groups of 10 different types of tiny fish could look really cluttered.

(Ever wish you didn't care so much about the details?)

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I personally think it's more visually appealing to have more of one species and less types you know? They show their natural behaviors a lot more.

As for coloration and variety there are a TON of choices

As a centerpiece I have a dwarf gourami

As a school I have Gurtrudae rainbows

As bottom dwellers I have Kuhli loaches

As algae eater I have ottos

None of them are even close to similar lol

I love my fish!!!

Different shapes.

One large school of something. I love Cardinals. When I also had a large school of Glowlight Tetras, another group I loved by themselves but together with the Cardinals, I couldn't stand all the small same shaped fish (that were too similar but not the same). I also had Harlequin Rasboras and a couple gouramis a Pearl and a Blue.

I ended up getting Angelfish I would recommend just 1 male because the pair can cause all kinds of trouble in keeping their spawning territory free of the other tankmates :hide:

No magic combination, other than size and shape and you already said the swimming area in the tank.

My comments might not have been that helpful overall, but just know you are not alone :flowers:

Yeah, I understand the whole detail orientated mindset :)

Just my opinion, whenever I think of the aesthetics of fish in a tank, I first think of the plants/rocks/any hard scape that will serve as the base on which you must build...then match your stock to best compliment it. I've seen so many nice, subtle; unique, creative and beautiful fish selections that are totally undermined by a silly looking setup and oddly placed decorations.

Plus it really comes down to opinion and personal taste, or even ability to keep certain species.

I usually ask myself "what sort of fish can I keep happy in the long run" as opposed to, "what do I want right now?"

Anyway...that aside, I've found that smaller fish in shoals or groups, especially natural coloured ones (not particularly the selectively bred for color, super neon bright, in your face types), like a lot of tetras. I really prefer glowlights and rummynoses, because they've got flashes of red and neat patterns that aren't too out there, but are pretty, and stand out from the greenery of the plants.

Maybe this is just me, but if I have darker slate rock, I like light blue pastel colored fish for centerpieces, like some species of gouramies. Then maybe Julii cories for some lower level intrigue and perhaps a school of subtle looking small tetras (I don't prefer neons or cardinals)

Whereas if I have driftwood by itself (or driftwood and rocks) I'd go for pearl gouramies, panda cories and the glowlights or rummies.

But if you had a tall show tank, you could also have it vertically oriented with tall, beautiful plants, some small river stones here and there on a white or black sand bed with angels or discus, some rummies and some cories.

That's my style anyway. I have preferred ways of organizing and such. But at any cost, I know what you mean when you say too many clashing colors and types of fish can actually take away from the beauty that could potentially be there. :)

FreshSaltGirl ... That's where I'm at, exactly. I'd want those same color assortments depending on the hard scape!! Love glowlights, not so much cardinals.

Given that I have white sand with a tiny bit of red-brown gravel, and rust/white sandstone rocks sprinkled around, very red toned driftwood, and plants ... I'm not at all inclined toward vivid colors, blues, greens, or true reds.

But I went too far the other way last year stocking the 29 ... And mistook "looks awesome up close on a computer screen" with "looks good in the tank" ...

So I have now (there were a few casualties with equipment and a move) ...

5 glowlight neon tetras
6 kyathit danio (like zebras with orange fins)
10 harlequin rasbora
8 Otos of two types (bah!)
4 laos pygmy striped loaches
3 white finned rosy tetras (was going for white-they just look pink)

What I'd prefer, I think, is ...

More glowlight neon tetras
Keep rasboras as is or add 2-4
Rehome danios and rosy tetras
Add 6 diamond tetras
Add dwarf chain loaches
Add marble hatchetfish (and a maximum security lid)

It's a 56 column so there's a lot of vertical space. I considered an angelfish but I think it'd outsize the small fish too much and may feel crowded, like a sailboat surrounded by jet skis. In a little lake.

FreshSaltGirl ... That's where I'm at, exactly. I'd want those same color assortments depending on the hard scape!! Love glowlights, not so much cardinals.

Given that I have white sand with a tiny bit of red-brown gravel, and rust/white sandstone rocks sprinkled around, very red toned driftwood, and plants ... I'm not at all inclined toward vivid colors, blues, greens, or true reds.

But I went too far the other way last year stocking the 29 ... And mistook "looks awesome up close on a computer screen" with "looks good in the tank" ...

So I have now (there were a few casualties with equipment and a move) ...

5 glowlight neon tetras
6 kyathit danio (like zebras with orange fins)
10 harlequin rasbora
8 Otos of two types (bah!)
4 laos pygmy striped loaches
3 white finned rosy tetras (was going for white-they just look pink)

What I'd prefer, I think, is ...

More glowlight neon tetras
Keep rasboras as is or add 2-4
Rehome danios and rosy tetras
Add 6 diamond tetras
Add dwarf chain loaches
Add marble hatchetfish (and a maximum security lid)

It's a 56 column so there's a lot of vertical space. I considered an angelfish but I think it'd outsize the small fish too much and may feel crowded, like a sailboat surrounded by jet skis. In a little lake.

Diamond Tetras are really attractive they have the little sparkle like scales but it is a little pink if you aren't into pink.

The Glowlights would be nice.

Boesemani Rainbow are beautiful.

Diamond Tetras are really attractive they have the little sparkle like scales but it is a little pink if you aren't into pink.

The Glowlights would be nice.

Boesemani Rainbow are beautiful.

I'm ok with pink it's just that the white finned rosy tetras are so similar in coloring to the harlequin rasboras. Taking them and the danios out removes some similarities (it'd be like removing the green and purple from a yellow-green-blue-purple-red situation).

I'm really bad at catching fish so for now I may just add 10 marble hatchetfish and 6 dwarf chain loaches, and more glowlights. Aquadvisor says it'll work.

Or I'll put an ad on the local fish club facebook page that if you can catch the Rosies and danios you can keep them!! If so the diamond tetras would be the most likely replacement.

If hatchetfish are too jumpy I'm also thinking about pencilfish. Anything larger than 2 1/2 " will probably look strange. I love rainbows but will have to wait for another tank.

Back
Top Bottom