How well can fish hear??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettacove

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering, cus my filters make noise and it got me thinking. Is it as loud to fish as it is to me? Or do different fish hear different?

ashley

I think fish feel vibrations instead of hearing like we do (although we technically hear through vibrations as well... but I think you guys know what I mean :fadein: )

guy i work with is a bass fisherman, we talked about it and he showed me an article on noisey fisherman, the basis was that " adjacent" noise was bad like, a boat motot etc, but unless it's in the water?, the sound doesn't reverberate that much sooo,,, turn up the radio on the boat

sound travels throuh water extremely well. think of whales, they can talk miles away from each other. this is why lfs's always have DO NOT TAP signs. it can stress the fish. water amplifys sound so it will be louder to them than to you by far. to consider is that fish come from streams and lakes and theres a bevy of sounds from falling water to gasses, to humans, to anything you can think of. so it depends on the sound from your filter. if its watery and clming i wouldnt worry.
please dont blare metallica to your fish in the same room. they may not die but i doubt theyd be happy you could deadfen them

deeni0z said:
I know that when I go fishing with my brother, he always tells me to stay quiet 'cause Ill scare the fish away.

You sure that's the real reason??!

haha just teasin' :silly:
-Danno

Back
Top Bottom