Hows my stocking idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johny boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I have a 20 g tank with 4 neons
3 harly rasbora 1 platy 1 black molly. What I wanna do is add 4 angel fish 3 dwarf gouramis 2 rainbowfish or parrotfish. how does this sound in a 60 g tank?

3 harly rasbora 1 platy 1 black molly. What I wanna do is add 4 angel fish 3 dwarf gouramis 2 rainbowfish or parrotfish. how does this sound in a 60 g tank?

Sorry, I'm confused- are you going to get a 60 gal to replace the 20, or are you keeping both?

Parrotfish are very aggressive so I definitely would not do them. What rainbow fish were you thinking? If one of the smaller species then id do maybe 8. With neons make sure they are big enough to not be eaten by a ADULT angel. They need to be bigger than an adult angels mouth to hopefully avoid getting eaten. The same applies with harlequins I think. Also the schools are a bit small so IF they were to work with adult angels Id boost them.

I would add pearl gouramis rather than dwarf gouramis. For the rainbows, I'd add neon dwarf rainbows.

Can you keep the 20 gallon? I'd keep the neons in the 20 gallon and bump the school up and maybe add a dwarf gourami to it.

To the 60 gallon - 4 angels are fine. I'd switch to a different kind of gourami (not kissing Gouramis though) and the rainbows... I'd go with bettaowner and get the dwarfs and up the school.

And I'd also say no to the parrotfish.

Well what can i replace the parrot fish with?

I agree with the poster above me but if you REALLY wanted to you could maybe add a small school of small fish.
But maybe not. You could probably bump up your number of platys and guppies instead. Or maybe add a nice pair of swordtails.
But in truth if you don't want to be overstocked I would really stick with adding maybe two more small fish at most. Ones that don't have a big personality (Angels, betas, oscars, cichlids, etc.)

Well I'm just looking for stocking ideas , I have to wait for the 60 g to cycle. Does anybody know how to cycle a tank faster I put filter media from 20 g into the 60?

Well I'm just looking for stocking ideas , I have to wait for the 60 g to cycle. Does anybody know how to cycle a tank faster I put filter media from 20 g into the 60?

Buy some bottled bacteria and throw a hardy fish in basically. I dont recommend it because a cycle is harsh on a fish but like this it can take a week to a month. All depends on your water chemistry

Yes you can take some of the media from the 20g filter and place it in the 60g filter. What are dosing the 60g with (ammonia source)?
I cycled a 20g fishless in about 15 days by running the new filter in the old tank for about 9 days, moved it over to the new tank, dosed ammonia to 4 ppm 3 times (it went down to zero 3 times in 6 days).

For your stocking, I would up your schools. You have space, you can certainly get more than 4 in a school. They tend to school better with more fish anyways IME, and the angels will likely inspire them to school up. Yes, angels can eat neons. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Hard to say. As has been said, you have a better chance of it working with bigger neons and smaller angels to start with.
In addition, you can look into more platies and mollies. Those are both great fish that come in tons of colors and you can easily get a big variety.
A couple dwarf gourami should be fine. They can be territorial, but that is a fair amount of space for that size fish. You could instead do a single opaline gourami or somehting similar. I don't suggest a gourami trio, because you don't want too many potentially aggressive fish breeding in the tank. With 4 angels, it is likely you will get at least 1 pair and you will have to keep stock that is compatible with them.
I agree, no parrot fish.
Some other options, a school of cories or small loaches like the yo-yo or zebra. A dwarf cichlid like an apisto or ram. There are also bristle nose plecos or farlowella that are fun to keep.

I tried putting in a guppy to my angels tank, the minute they saw it it was dead...

I tried putting in a guppy to my angels tank, the minute they saw it it was dead...

I've had many guppies in my tank before. They never seemed to last long in there for whatever reason... Gave up on them. But my angels NEVER laid a fin on them once. And believe me, I've had my fair share of angelfish. ;)

Im using a guppy platy and a black molly for cycleing

Back
Top Bottom