How's my test look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
What causes such a spike? I just did a 50% last weekend.

Overstocked tank (lots of fish), leads to more ammonia, which causes more bacteria to grow to consume it, leaving more nitrates. If you haven't done a PWC in 6-7 (?) days then that's why it's so high IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
Overstocked tank (lots of fish), leads to more ammonia, which causes more bacteria to grow to consume it, leaving more nitrates. If you haven't done a PWC in 6-7 (?) days then that's why it's so high IMO.

Ok I usually do one every Sunday but I never had a spike like this before since I had the tank. I just did a wc tonight. I guess that's why I never see ammonia then?

So my BB is doing it's job then right?

Convict2161 said:
Ok I usually do one every Sunday but I never had a spike like this before since I had the tank. I just did a wc tonight. I guess that's why I never see ammonia then?

Yes you should never see ammonia or nitrite in a cycled tank (unless something goes wrong). Only the end result of all the conversions the BB do as they consume it all (nitrate).

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes you should never see ammonia or nitrite in a cycled tank (unless something goes wrong). Only the end result of all the conversions the BB do as they consume it all (nitrate).

Ahh I gotcha. At least I know things are working. Just gotta watch I guess. Maybe wc 2x's a week.

Mumma.of.two said:
Two a week would be a good idea IMO. You've got a lot of fish in your tank.

Yes I sure do have A LOT and I LOVE them all!! They all have there own funny way about them! And I'll be more then happy do it 2x's a week to keep them healthy and happy :)

Re tested it's at 10 now whew...

Man you really really really gotta shake that that second bottle and take the reading soon after shaking the tube.

But were good now. Thanks everyone.

Tested today it's at 0.5. I'll be keeping an eye on it but hopefully whatever caused the spike has passed.

My bad. 5.0. Remember it was really red like 80. Seems the water change did its thing. I'm gonna test again in a day or two.

Convict2161 said:
My bad. 5.0. Remember it was really red like 80. Seems the water change did its thing. I'm gonna test again in a day or two.

Good, seems to be solid now!

Back
Top Bottom