How's my test look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Do you think my Nitrates are too high?

Nitrates are a little too high. Try and get those down with a pwc. All others look good. What is the second test on the left?

George9 said:
Nitrates are a little too high. Try and get those down with a pwc. All others look good. What is the second test on the left?

In order:

Nitrite 0

pH 8.0-8.2

Nitrates high

Ammonia 0

I can't do a pwc for a few hours will that work. What causes such a spike? I just did a 50% last weekend. Haven't found any dead fish in tank but then again with so much decor and being a 75 who knows.

I'll do one as soon as I can.

Also I just remembered I topped off about 2 days ago, maybe a gallon but treated the water with Prime before putting it in the tank.

I'm also worried because the water has been brown today due hydrant flushing, so is it safe to add it? It's like a tea color. I tested the tap water and it's fine. But I don't know what else is in the water. When they flush the hydrants it's always brown for a while.

Last edited:
Thats fine. I really wouldn't be able to tell you what causes spikes like that. But, as long as you get them down sometime soon you'll be fine. They look 20-40 to me, which is high, but not too high.

George9 said:
Thats fine. I really wouldn't be able to tell you what causes spikes like that. But, as long as you get them down sometime soon you'll be fine. They look 20-40 to me, which is high, but not too high.

Ok thanks

Convict2161 said:
Do you think my Nitrates are too high?

Yea man lookin a little bit red there;)

Thats ok, a PWC should be able to get those down:D

Im guessing someone has been focusing on their saltwater tank a little bit more...haha

Gboy66 said:
Yea man lookin a little bit red there;)

Thats ok, a PWC should be able to get those down:D

Im guessing someone has been focusing on their saltwater tank a little bit more...haha

Haha funny thing is I did a 50% last weekend! What would cause such a spike? Everything else is fine. I googled it and one thing said lack of tank up keep. YEAH RIGHT!! I'm on top of that tank all the time.

Convict2161 said:
Haha funny thing is I did a 50% last weekend! What would cause such a spike? Everything else is fine. I googled it and one thing said lack of tank up keep. YEAH RIGHT!! I'm on top of that tank all the time.

Maybe your fish ate somthing for dinner that disagreed with them? You feeding them chili?

Haha i think you'll be okay, when can you do the pwc?

In about 2 hours or less. Gonna do a 50%. Only takes like 10 minutes with the python.

The only thing I did different was feed brine shrimp as a treat this week, twice. That's the only difference. Maybe that was it. I ate the chili! :)

Convict2161 said:
In about 2 hours or less. Gonna do a 50%. Only takes like 10 minutes with the python.

The only thing I did different was feed brine shrimp as a treat this week, twice. That's the only difference. Maybe that was it. I ate the chili! :)

Hahaha cool, it will be fine

I would do a 50% + PWC, to much excess food or poop can cause a spike like that. Depending on the tank, stock and filtration you may have to do more than one PWC a week.

Getting some fast growing stem plants or floating plants will help use up the excess nitrates. Levels that high can also be very stressful for fish.

Mogurako said:
I would do a 50% + PWC, to much excess food or poop can cause a spike like that. Depending on the tank, stock and filtration you may have to do more than one PWC a week.

Getting some fast growing stem plants or floating plants will help use up the excess nitrates. Levels that high can also be very stressful for fish.

I have 14 Anubias and 3 java fern mats. It's a 75 gallon running a fx5 and a AC 110 for carbon and polishing pads.

It is overstocked but I do water changes sometimes 2-3x's a week. And also 50% so.... Something happened. Like is said the only different thing I did this week was feed brine Shrimp 2x's this week. 2 cubes both days.

I maintain my tanks very well my OCD won't let me do otherwise this is why I'm shocked in the spike.

I've always likes the idea of floating plants but heard it was a no no in a African Cichlid tank. Of not what would you suggest?

Mogurako said:
If that's the case there has to be something dead or to much uneaten food.

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking there is something dead in there cause when I feed I watch and it's a feeding frenzy. Or maybe the brine shrimp? Either way a 50% water change has been ordered for later on, I don't care what time it is. It will be done today.

Funny I was always worried about ammonia and I don't seem to ammonia for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom