How's this sound for a new betta set-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to have an empty 10 gallon on my hands, and I'd love to turn it into a stylish little betta home.

Here's my thinking so far: (Let me know if you have better ideas or if something is inherently unhealthful for the fish.)

-I'd like a male betta, preferably as all-red as possible, or red-orange.

-I'd like a thick layer of substrate. I was thinking a layer of, oh say, black gravel, topped with a layer of red gravel, topped with one more black. (If you can think of better colors just holler.)

-I thought having a bunch of those bamboo plants you can get at the mall or some trendy store would look very neat. The tank would be something along the lines of a bamboo thicket. Any other decorations would be in the aim of looking more like a japanese garden or something similar... perhaps very round rocks. I'm open for suggestions.

-I would prefer to have a few other fish with it. What are some good choices? I thought neon tetras might look good there too. I'd like input on this, both for looks and potential danger to the betta or any other fish I put in.

-What's ideal temperature for a betta tank?

Any comments or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

The only potential problem I see is using the thick layer of substrate. Especially if you want to have it layered for the color effects. It's going to be very difficult to keep it clean...you really need to vacuum the substrate in a FW tank. I'd go with a black substrate less than 1" thick. JMHO. I keep my betta at about 78* F.

I have to agree with the substrate thickness. That would be a cool look, but not practical. My bettas are at 80F. Neon or cardinal tetras may be fine, a lot will depend on the personality of the betta. I once put in neons with a female betta. It was not a pretty sight :(

Oh yeah. I guess the first time I'd vacuum that gravel would be the end of that color effect eh? hehe. *smacks forehead*

Well a boy can dream can't he?

LOL on the gravel! The betta will love a ten gallon tank, though!

I keep my betta tanks at 80 degrees. I've seen tetras (cardinal or neon -- I can't tell the difference quickly) ganging up and nipping a slower-moving betta. This was at the hatchery I go to, and the owner moved the betta.

I don't think there's a problem with using bamboo, as long as it's untreated and not sharp and doesn't tear the betta's fins. Silk plants are better than plastic plants in this regard. Plastic plants do tear fins.

In this topic, Toirtis talks about using bamboo: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=317162&highlight=#317162

Will you be using live bamboo? I had bamboo in one of my tanks, until the cats ate it :sigh: It really looked nice for awhile :roll:

I think, other than the substrate, that you have an idea for a super cool tank and I'd like to see some pics when you get it done. The live bamboo and the rounded rocks should create a really nice effect. Remember also...bettas don't like a lot of current so you'll probably want to use a fairly small filter...it won't take much for a planted 10g.

Thanks for the input all.

When I move the current inhabitants and clean out this 10 gallon, I'll start working on this and post some pictures. Hopefully it becomes a success.

loganj said:
Remember also...bettas don't like a lot of current so you'll probably want to use a fairly small filter...it won't take much for a planted 10g.

Logan is right -- I use sponge filters in my betta tanks, along with a small air pump and gang valve. You can look at the gang valve setup in my gallery.

Here's a new Idea.

How about a 10-gal split into 2 or three sections. One red betta, one yellowish and one blue... with color matching gravel and decorations. That'd be downright keen. Only problem would be how to place a heater.

Hello,
Here's my 2 cents worth....sounds like you're wanting a "Japanese" feel...I think it would be cool to have a very peaceful, serene tank. If it was me, I would go with black gravel, a bamboo "grove", some large polished stones, one male betta and 4 or 5 otos.

This will be simple but beautiful. IMHO

I'm not certain about lucky bamboo's toxicity. Just make sure it's not dangerous to the fish first. Also, while the bamboo roots do fine under water you can't submerge the entire plant. The leaves should grow above the surface of the water. Since this will require an open top you'll need to keep the water level low enough so that the betta can't jump out.

Personally, I like to give each of my bettas their own 10 gal. Dividing tanks is fine and quite common but it has it's problems too. If one betta gets sick with something communicable it can spread fast. If a betta gets sick and the others don't you'll have to move him to a hospital tank if treatment is necessary. Finally, because being in constant view of one another can be stressful, if you decide to divide the tank you will want to create plenty of hidey-holes and plants so they are not always in sight of each other. With proper care, a divided tank can be successful there's just a little more planning involved.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom