hubby cleaned the...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
55 with just water and elbow grease,it all came off, lol it looks so nice!!!! we had it filled out side yesterday and all day today...just got done its filled and all but no fish..not going to put any in now for my 100th dumb question, lol...can water be ok without the filter till wed.? I will buy the filter wed.......I do have an extra filter running in my 29 gal but its for a 14 gal tank so dont think that would do any good....My hubby and daughter wanted to fill it up, I got half way then started having a feeling that it would not be good to leave water in the tank without a filter running........so go ahead and tell me how much of a duh we are, lol:silly:
oh my son had the hood just needed the light strip and thats what I had so have the whole hood just need the bulb

The filter will start "cleaning" the water whenever you get one. You won't be able to start your cycle until you have the filter, but nothing's going to affect the water in the tank. It's the same as when ppl set aside some water for next week's pwc.

However, did you clean the tank with anything else? You really should use bleach or vinegar to disinfect the tank.

Why not? At my house the only hazard to the Goldfish tank with no top is the pet bird we let out once in a while. He likes to perch on the edge and... Well, you know.

Here's a tip: I was cycling my 100 gallon tank and it was going slowly. My long established 40 gallon tank has the exact same kind of filters, AquaClear 110's. I took the filter media out of the 40and put it in one of the filters on the 100. Although not overly grotty it looked like it was full of funk. But it was good funk. When I did this the 40 saw a small Nitrite spike that was gone in a day. (Much of the good bacteria is on the gravel, decorations, tank walls etc.)

If you have an established filter you may want to run it on your new tank, if feasible. It will shorten your cycle time nicely.

I know it's been said before but, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

The filter will start "cleaning" the water whenever you get one. You won't be able to start your cycle until you have the filter, but nothing's going to affect the water in the tank. It's the same as when ppl set aside some water for next week's pwc.

However, did you clean the tank with anything else? You really should use bleach or vinegar to disinfect the tank.

Yes hubby used vinegar then so cleaned it real good! and rinced rinced and more, lol no smell at all in there:p

Unless you plan on having the city come out and chlorinate your water again, it's ok.

Why not? At my house the only hazard to the Goldfish tank with no top is the pet bird we let out once in a while. He likes to perch on the edge and... Well, you know.

Here's a tip: I was cycling my 100 gallon tank and it was going slowly. My long established 40 gallon tank has the exact same kind of filters, AquaClear 110's. I took the filter media out of the 40and put it in one of the filters on the 100. Although not overly grotty it looked like it was full of funk. But it was good funk. When I did this the 40 saw a small Nitrite spike that was gone in a day. (Much of the good bacteria is on the gravel, decorations, tank walls etc.)

If you have an established filter you may want to run it on your new tank, if feasible. It will shorten your cycle time nicely.

I know it's been said before but, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Oh thast I am going to do, I will be running the 14 gal filter with the new filter for at least a week:D also will take the media and put it with the new media, lol....but have to wait till wed to get the new filter

Back
Top Bottom