Huge algae takeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
The first few months after setting up my tank, I was battling an infestation of brown algae, which completely disappeared after a bit. Then, a few bits of string algae popped up. After that was gone, my tank was pristine for a number of weeks. Then, a huge infestation of this weird green tuft algae just started appearing absolutely everywhere.

It's definitely not BBA, as BBA is grayish-black and becomes a huge tuft after a bit. The green tuft algae is just a whole lot of tufts everywhere. The tufts don't grow on top of each other and they don't grow very tall (~2 mm tall). They just carpet. Everywhere. It's slowing covering my Anubias plants, but it's not touching the Christmas moss (thank god, that would be a nightmare). It's extremely hard to get off the plants, gravel, and hardscape, and can only be scraped off the tank glass. Even worse, the cherry shrimp and nerite snails don't seem to eat it at all.:banghead:

Does anyone have any idea what this algae is, and what might be causing it? I've only thought about a few causes; LED light, and excesss nutrients (slow growing plants). Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom