huge question on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mom had brought over a rock she had gotten from the beach in Florida, it is kinda coral looking not for sure it is though. You can taste the salt on it. If I boil it will it be ok to put in my tank? Or will it actually add salt to the water?

I personally wouldn't do it.. marine salt is different than freshwater .. also it could be containing numerous bacteria and other stuff that could have negative effects on your tank, could get your fish sick or worse, kill them

I've used rocks like that (except from FW) for short periods when I needed to hold something down for a few days. They grow algae pretty fast and mine have been washed pretty good.

you could let it sit in a bucket with water and see if it messes with your parameters.

butterfly_koi said:
Maybe I should just use it in the tank with my fiddler crab, she needs salt in her tank anyways

does the crab need fresh water aquarium salt or marine salt! there is a difference

Back
Top Bottom