Humidity in the House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a question to everyone with alot of tanks. I currenly have a little over 1000g of water from aquariums and this year I'm really noticing the humidity levels rising all over the house. I'm researching a fish room which would only compound the problem. Does anyone experience this and what do you do? I'm going to Home Depot to purchase a whole house dehumidifier this weekend, any experience with these? Looking forward to some other experiences, it's also your turn to tell me I'm overstocked and that oscar in the 10g has to go(some of you may get that). Thanks.

I just looked at my tank and thought the same thing!

I am from MI, and have already noticed my tanks needing to be topped off way more often. In the winter I maybe had to top off once a week, but now that the weather is getting warmer, I feel I almost have to top off twice a week now!

If you find anything else about it I would like to know though, Thanks.

At this time of year ... with outside temps increasing, evaporation from your tanks could be higher adding to your increased humidity. I have a dehumidifier in our basement and every day I'm dumping a bucket of water (set at 35% rh) So be prepared to do a lot of water dumping.:eek:

Running an AC, while lowering the temperature, also helps dry the air lowering the humidity. As the air gets drier, water from your tanks will want to evaporate faster. So it's a double edged sword, don't run the AC and the higher temps = higher evaporation = higher indoor humidity. Run the AC and the drier air = higher evaporation = higher indoor humidity:facepalm:

is the humidity a big problem? I'm sure your gun safes all have goldenrods in them, right (I know mine do!). I like having a higher humidity because it seems to make the house feel warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. If it's so high it's causing problems, a dehumidifier might be necessary. You'll have less evap if your humidity is high though, that's another plus.

EDIT: Sorry it's a statement and not what you're asking... I have no experience with those units.

Last edited:
At this time of year ... with outside temps increasing, evaporation from your tanks could be higher adding to your increased humidity. I have a dehumidifier in our basement and every day I'm dumping a bucket of water (set at 35% rh) So be prepared to do a lot of water dumping.:eek:

Running an AC, while lowering the temperature, also helps dry the air lowering the humidity. As the air gets drier, water from your tanks will want to evaporate faster. So it's a double edged sword, don't run the AC and the higher temps = higher evaporation = higher indoor humidity. Run the AC and the drier air = higher evaporation = higher indoor humidity:facepalm:

That I understand, I'm looking at opinions/experience of the whole house unit which goes onto the furnace. Trying to get some feedback since I've seen prices from upwards of $1800.

is the humidity a big problem? I'm sure your gun safes all have goldenrods in them, right (I know mine do!). I like having a higher humidity because it seems to make the house feel warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. If it's so high it's causing problems, a dehumidifier might be necessary. You'll have less evap if your humidity is high though, that's another plus.

I partially run my gun store from home as it's easier to do the Internet shipping from there for my wife. So I have a dedicated store room insulated, rebar running through the walls, steel entry door and a dehumidifier in there since they is literally 10-15k of merchandise. So that room's golden, it's also my second favorite room the house, I grin almost everytime I walk in.

Last edited:
Looking forward to some other experiences, it's also your turn to tell me I'm overstocked and that oscar in the 10g has to go(some of you may get that). Thanks.

I see what ya did there. heh

I just finished building a house and we put a HRV system in. It's basically a unit that keeps the humidity levels in the house constantly the same. If there is too much humidity it will take water out of the air. Not enough it will add some. In the winter it also warms the in coming air to our furnace by using the exhaust from the furnace so the furnace has less work to do and uses less power.

So far we like it.

I see what ya did there. heh

I just finished building a house and we put a HRV system in. It's basically a unit that keeps the humidity levels in the house constantly the same. If there is too much humidity it will take water out of the air. Not enough it will add some. In the winter it also warms the in coming air to our furnace by using the exhaust from the furnace so the furnace has less work to do and uses less power.

So far we like it.

Thats what I was looking for, is the unit adjustable?

Yes, it has a control unit that sits next to your furnace thermostat. Pretty easy to set, you really only need to adjust the HRV like 1 or 2 times a year (basically fall->winter and winter->spring).

Back
Top Bottom