Hundreds of white specs on glass are moving!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeysinacan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I just did a water change and I was looking at the tank and noticed hundreds of little white specs on the inside of the glass. I assumed this was just some stuff that got stirred up from the bottom when i was using the gravel vac. However upon further examination I noticed that they are moving. Does any one know what this stuff is. I just had a major algae die off recently if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 90
I had the same issue about a year ago when my tank was new and uncycled (newbie and got bad advice about cycling with fish). I did daily water changes and eventually they disappeared. No harm to the fish.

Not harmful at all. Don't sweat it, the fish will probably graze on them. When they start looking more "worm-like", then worry. Do you test your water? What is your water change schedule like?

Not harmful at all. Don't sweat it, the fish will probably graze on them. When they start looking more "worm-like", then worry. Do you test your water? What is your water change schedule like?
The reason for me asking was after the water change in my convict tank I noticed what looked like extremely tiny worms floating in the tank.

White worms are different. They are most likely planaria that were feeding in the substrate. They are usually a sign of degraded water quality, but are easily erradicated by increased water changes and lowered feeding.

White worms are different. They are most likely planaria that were feeding in the substrate. They are usually a sign of degraded water quality, but are easily erradicated by increased water changes and lowered feeding.

After further examination with a magnifying glass I have concluded they are in fact Planaria. Looks like I'll be doing daily water changes until this clears up. I also scraped as much as i could off the glass.

Anything else I ought to know about these little critters.

Not really. They are harmless, but a very good indicator that your maintenance routine needs adjustment. They are pretty common in invert tanks. I've had them a couple times in my shrimp tanks after neglecting them for short periods. Just change water and they'll disappear. :)

Back
Top Bottom