Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Hybrids

Everyone seems to hate hybrids... whats so bad about em.. I am probably ill informed but uh.. are hybrids that bad?

Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
When so many species of fish are extinct or near extinct in the wild, we are doing them no favours by breeding hybrids....what is worse, hybrids often are not obviously so, so it is easy to accidentally pollute a pure line if you are not careful. In the case of some hybrids, the result is a deformed fish...hardly a favour to the fish, non?

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I guess.. My swordtail male is actually a platy and swordtail hybrid.. He has a deformed side... But i mean, cant breeding hybrids create different fish.. or even larger or smaller fish? -- im not well education on genetics or anything but still..
Old 03-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
But i mean, cant breeding hybrids create different fish.. or even larger or smaller fish?
Yep, and it's been done already, quite a few times. Many sunfish, trout, bass are hybrid. Alot though..are deformed, don't live as long, and are sterile.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seven hybrids and absolutely love them. They have been through ich (the only survivors), the stress of cycling twice, and the most recent mysterious fish deaths. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as it is controlled. People always say that there are so many other beautiful fish to choose from, but where I am from, it is impossible to get any of the other cichlids. It's a hit or miss with the "Misc African Cichlid" and ordering gets me nowhere. I put in an order for a couple cichlids about 10 months ago and still have not received them.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I can see where it causes deformities because of my swordtail, platy mix.. but if hes sterile he dosnt realize it.. heheh. Im not sure but i think he may have preggered my platy.. that or she came preggered... either way.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a difference between crossing two different species and crossing two different strains of the same species. Both get called hybrid.

Crossing two different species results in "mules" sterile and sometimes deformed. This is a true hybrid.

Also, hybrid might refer to crossing two different strains, depending on context. This means fry will be fertile and deformities are not due to mixed up genetics (different numbers of chromosomes etc.). With Africans you can have Labeotropheus trewavasae of different colour morphs crossed. African mbuna entusiasts hate them being crossed because each colour morph comes from a different part of lake Malawi. Then you get all sorts of colour varieties in the fry and a real mixed bag when those fry are bred.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw09000d.htm

Have a look at the link and notice the distinct colour differences between the males of each location. When genes are mixed the original colour pattern is lost and very hard to recover (if at all).
Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I persoanlly think apart from BloodParrots hybrids arent very good for the fish or to have. My opinion is short and sweet. LOL

JMHO
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

blood parrots have deformed swim bladders, but i have one and hes pretty cool, i dont see anything wrong with hybridization, it happens in the wild up here, brook trout + lake trout =splake.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I saw some parrots labeled as Blood Parrots at a petsmart and they were orangish with some spots of brown. Didn't seem normal to me, are they most likely painted?
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, they aren't painted. Depending on where the brown was, it either means stress or it's just from breeding. I have personally never seen a parrot with the brown from breeding, but I have seen pics online. They are not painted if they are orange/red or yellow.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com