hydra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
so the other day we noticed hydra (was told what it was ) in our fry tank ...today we got out all the plants and binned them and took out bogwood and literally boiled them (put in a plastic bin with loads of kettles of water) and took out all the stones so now its glass bottom and cleaned all the muck out of the tank did about a 50% water change ....well i just looked in the tank and saw a couple of hydra still on bogwood i thought boiling it would get rid of it ...any thing else we can do dont wanna use medications as much as possible as got fry in there (at least 1 at around 8 weeks old at about 15 at 5 weeks old and alot of 3 days old) ...also the external we got second hand when priming it it sends out loads of white stuff is that something to worry about or not ...help

without going the chemical route I doubt you'll ever get rid of them. I used fenbendazole in a shrimp tank with CRS, 3 doses in 72 hours and I had no deaths, I'm sure the fry will be fine.

without going the chemical route I doubt you'll ever get rid of them. I used fenbendazole in a shrimp tank with CRS, 3 doses in 72 hours and I had no deaths, I'm sure the fry will be fine.
its says online that chemicals will kill the fry or should i wait until they are a bit bigger say in a couple of weeks i know the bigger ones should be fine but its the 3 day olds im worrying about with chemicals

its says online that chemicals will kill the fry or should i wait until they are a bit bigger say in a couple of weeks i know the bigger ones should be fine but its the 3 day olds im worrying about with chemicals

Where online are you reading this? I've always heard it is fish/shrimp safe.... I figured if I didn't lose any CRS it should be safe for any fish

Go to Petco or wherever and get some Safeguard dog de-wormer. It is Fenbendazole. Put it in the tank at a dose of 1 gram per 10 gallons. It is perfectly fish safe. It does not affect 5 day old Angelfish fry whenever I use it. It kills all the hydra in a very short time. I have never had to use a second dose.

Back
Top Bottom