Hydra problem and Beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found hydra all over the wall of my 10 gallon tank. I have had it set up for around 3 months and cycled it for a new Beta. I had an explosion of seed shrimp, scuds, detritus worms. Just about any critter that can show up in a tank showed up in this one. Never had hydra before but I have bought plants from several different people recently. I got pond snails from them so the hydra probably came in with them. I didn't notice the hydra until yesterday when I checked the tank before leaving to get a Beta. I found them in my other two tanks as well but so far not in my 3 gallon shrimp jar I have been cycling. The Beta tank only had plants and ramshorn, MTS, and pond snails in it. My other two tanks have mollies, endler guppies, neon tetras, olive nerites, mystery snails, ramhorn, pond snails and MTS. Those tanks had only a few hydra. I wonder if the fish ate them? I cleaned the walls of the 10 gallon with a coarse sponge before putting the Beta in. This morning they had come back but not as many. The Beta has been cruising around and trying to eat the snails. Will the hydra bother him? I just added ghost shrimp and some more mystery snails to my 29 gallon tank and I don't want the hydra to eat the new shrimp or possible babies. There was only a few on the glass this morning and I wiped them off. Any way I could get rid of them without killing the other inverts? I read that some snails will eat them and some fish. What about if they show up in my 3 gallon jar tank?

Back
Top Bottom