Hyoithetically, what if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I am looking to add some fish, but my only options are Petco/Petsmart, so I figured that I better have a quarantine tank. Since all my filters run on Aquaclear substrate, which has foam blocks, I figured that I could have a only temporarily filled aquarium, with the filter substrate living in a different filter during the time when I am not acclimating/fixing fish (This also serves to make my parents less mad, with two tanks already).

However, my only option right now is a three gallon bucket (again, the Parents Against Tanks front), and that is not conducive to a filter. So my question is, would it work for me just to put the filter foam in the tank with the sick fish, and not bother with the filter? Would that work if I did lots of partial water changes?

Also, if this works, this will make my father happy, who already feels that I use too many plugs. He calls my room The Power Plant.

No, that won't work. You need water flow over the bio-media. Also, your fish will more than likely run out of oxygen.

Get yourself a sponge filter.

Also, substrate is the stuff at the bottom of the tank.

Fish will die if kept in a bucket. A ten gallon tank is 12.99 and you need only an air stone in it, just be prepared to do daily PWC

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would like to get a tank, but again, the Parents Against Tanks front won't allow me.

Do you think melafix + lots of PWC could handle whatever Petco brings home?

And a tetra I had in a bucket for a few days stayed alive. Was the dying thing time related?

A sponge filter is very inexpensive and could easily be placed inside the bucket. They are also very useful to have around.

I am contemplating making my 4.5 gal rectangle bucket a temp QT tank. I have a sponge filter that I just placed in my established tank about two weeks ago. How long does it take to grow enough BB on the sponge in order for a successful transfer of the sponge filter to my QT bucket?

A really cheap way to make your own sponge filter. Have it running in my tank and it works great. Someone will have to check me on this, but could he put this in a small QT bucket?

Even just an airstone would be fine if you are doing daily water changes anyway. A seeded sponge filter would be better though and require less water changes if the container was instantly cycled (it'd depend on the readings)

Back
Top Bottom